Are you an unruly Mexican, Jew or homosexual? If so, the National Socialist Movement doesn’t like you. Those are the people they were protesting against in Riverside, Calif., last weekend, according to an article on National Public Radio.

The group also protested in Arizona last weekend at the State Capitol.

In footage from 12 News, the NSM protesters chanted “America first! America first!” and “No (edited), no Jews, the Mexicans must go, too!”

The leader of the group explained to reporters that the NSM is “standing in defense of America.”

How is the NSM defending America by inciting rage and, in some cases, violence?

What country do they perceive that they are living in? The last time I checked, we don’t promote racism and hate as a virtue.

And, as the 12 News reporter inquired, do they really think this is what our country needs?

Yes, an emphatic yes.

We already have hate to deal with here — hate for gays, hate for different religions and hate for skin color. So what’s different between the nation’s current situation and NSM’s position?

The difference is that most people view these issues as problems, ones that will not and should be solved by eradicating (or deporting) everyone who isn’t white.

According to NSM’s Web site, everyone who isn’t purely white needs to go back to where they came from.

How about they do the same? They don’t have strictly American blood. They, just like everyone else, have ancestors from different regions and countries. What matters to them, though, is simply that they have white skin.

I find it painfully ironic that their concept of America is white people.

I hate to break it to you, members of NSM, but you know those Native Americans the White Man slaughtered?

There is a reason they’re called Native. And they weren’t white.

Regardless, why does it matter? What makes brown-skinned people less than white-skinned? Or, for that matter, why aren’t brown-skinned people better than white-skinned?

Can someone explain this?

In my mind, race doesn’t matter. And it’s certainly not a reason to spread hate.

Here at ASU, I’m sure most of us don’t support the NSM. However, according to The Southern Poverty Law Center, there are at least 10 neo-Nazi groups out of 19 hate groups in Arizona.

As students, faculty and staff of a racially, sexually and religiously diverse institution, we should value all people and facilitate tolerance for those who thrive on hatred.

×