We should be ashamed of ourselves.

More specifically, the United States should be ashamed of itself. It has failed to significantly reduce greenhouse gas emissions before the upcoming climate change summit in Copenhagen, Denmark.

When it comes to addressing global warming, our country is like the most attractive cheerleader in high school.

Sure, we dominate the social hierarchy, forcing desperate countries like North Korea to plot revenge while picking morosely at their pimpled faces. And sure, we borrow too much money from our quarterback boyfriend China even though everyone knows China is an insensitive bastard.

But behind our glamorous makeup and stylish clothing, we are nothing more than empty promises. While the rest of the world is taking considerable steps to solve the environmental crisis, America is indifferently putting on lipstick and smacking its lips.

Recently, the chairman of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change — the group that was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 2007 — criticized our country’s lack of commitment in preparation for the Copenhagen summit.

“I feel disappointed and so do so many other people that think that [the United States] didn’t move rapidly enough [in passing climate change legislation],” Rajendra Pachauri said in an interview with The New York Times.

But there is bipartisan climate change legislation being proposed through the Senate Committee on Environment and Public Works, and President Barack Obama has been putting pressure on government officials to get something passed before the Copenhagen conference.

So what’s the real reason the legislation has been shelved? Congressmen are afraid they won’t get reelected if they support climate change.

The nationwide skepticism of manmade global warming is increasing, well, like most scientists agree global temperatures are increasing. A poll conducted in October by the Pew Research Center for the People and the Press showed that only 57 percent of people believe global warming is scientifically valid, down from 77 percent just two years ago.

It is this indecisiveness that prevents America from jumping headfirst into the growing and lucrative green revolution. But without popular support and government incentives, this potentially explosive industry will merely sputter and fizzle in America.

The United States can show the other countries it is responsible for something environmentally friendly, though. A recent report from the International Energy Agency found that global carbon emissions were reduced 3 percent this year because of the global recession.

Finally, we can stop cowering from the resounding international disapproval we have received for causing the recession. We can receive the gratitude our country deserves for simultaneously combating global warming and crippling the global economy.

But despite this crippled global economy, our own pocketbooks will be fine. As long as we keep primping our hair and flirtatiously borrowing money from our boyfriend China.

Suggest dating tips for America at David.K.Edwards.1@asu.edu.

×