They say you learn something new everyday.

Here’s my daily factoid: On April 18, 2008, former Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin gave birth to her fifth child, Trig Paxson Van Palin, who was diagnosed with Down syndrome four days later.

According to Anchorage Daily News, which provided me with this little nugget of knowledge, the risk of conceiving a child with Down syndrome increases with maternal age. At Palin’s age of 44 that risk is 1 in 35.

With 400,000 Americans with Down syndrome, according to an article published by ABC News this week, Down syndrome is the most prevalent genetic condition in the United States. Individuals with Down syndrome face delayed language and motor development, as well as mental retardation.

With the advent of prenatal testing, however, an unfortunate new trend is arising.

According to research compiled by Dr. Brian Skotko, pediatric geneticist at Children’s Hospital Boston, about 92 percent of women who learn their unborn child has Down syndrome choose to terminate their pregnancies.

As a result, there is a 49-percentage point discrepancy between the expected rate of Down syndrome baby birth rates and the actual rate, according to Skotko’s research.

How far is too far?

Don’t worry — my toes are far from the line of discussing the prolife/prochoice debate. You may unclench your fists now. I am merely resurrecting an old debate in light of this new research.

“What if we don’t like brown eyes anymore? What have we lost, and what does Down syndrome bring to society that we lose along the way?” said Melanie McLaughlin, a volunteer with First Call, an organization that provides resources to families to help them cope with a Down syndrome diagnosis, according to ABC News.

She brings up an interesting point. Aside from the moral complications of abortions encouraged from prenatal findings, what impact do these terminations have on our society?

Down syndrome provides a perfect example.

For instance, research of the syndrome has increased life expectancy of affected individuals dramatically — from 25 to 60 years since 1983, according to the National Down Syndrome Society.

Additionally, individuals with Down syndrome attend school, work and usually experience only mild to moderate cognitive delays. What’s more, the NDSS claims current research holds promise we may one day be able to improve, correct or prevent many of the medical issues associated with Down syndrome.

With 92 percent of Down syndrome babies aborted, we are deliberately and dramatically altering the composition of our society. We are deciding what is normal and what is not, as well as what kind of life is valuable.

What people are overlooking, in the case of Down syndrome, is that individuals with Down syndrome are perfectly capable of leading normal, healthy and productive lives.

Why then, are the vast majority of them deemed unworthy to live? Is it misinformation, or is it an adherence to a rigidly composed ideal of homogeneity?

In all honesty it’s probably a little of both. Perhaps it’s time we rethink some of our preconceptions about disability.

After all, what is normal anyway?

Reach Kristen at kckelle2@asu.edu.

×