Swim team hopes to make Midwest splash

swim_web
Sophomore Xavier Mohammed swims the backstroke during a meet against USC earlier in the season.(Matt Pavelek | The State Press)

The ASU swim team will take a plunge in Midwest waters this weekend when it competes in the Missouri Invitational.

ASU swimming head coach Dorsey Tierney-Walker said she is confident the Sun Devils will show improvement over their last meet against Pac-10 competition.

“I think we’re a much more skilled team than we were even three weeks ago,” Tierney-Walker said. “We’re looking for continued improvement in our racing skills and our racing strategy.”

Sophomore swimmer Xavier Mohammed has been a pleasant surprise for the Sun Devils this season. In the team’s last meet against USC, Mohammed won first place in three events: the 200 fly, the 200 IM and the 200 backstroke, and he will have his plate full this weekend.

“Xavier Mohammed will get an opportunity to compete in a lot of different events,” Tierney-Walker said. “He’s very versatile. I think he’s going to have a very good meet.”

Sophomore Jordyn Green has been a solid contributor on the women’s side.

Green earned an NCAA consideration time for the 200-meet breaststroke in the meet against USC and UCLA three weeks ago, and Tierney-Walker has been impressed with her swimmer’s performance all season.

Freshman Paige Schultz has also been excelling in her early season races. Schultz has earned several first place finishes in the 100 free, 200 free and the 500 free during meets this season.

The ASU diving team is headed to Ohio State for the Ohio State Invitational. There will be 15 teams competing in the invitational Friday through Sunday at the McCorkle Aquatic Pavilion.

ASU diving head coach Mark Bradshaw said the Sun Devils will experience more of a challenge in this competition than in their last meet in Tucson.

“The quality will be better,” Bradshaw said. “There will be better divers.”

The Sun Devils will have their second opportunity to compete on the platform at this competition, as well as competing in the springboard events.

At the Wildcat Invitational, the Sun Devils excelled on the platform events. Freshman Riley McCormick and sophomore Elina Eggers both took first on the 10-meter, while junior Cameron Bradshaw won the 1-meter.

Junior Brittany Jumer, Bradshaw, Eggers and McCormick have already qualified for the Zone E Championships. Eggers and McCormick are eligible for all three events. Jumer and Bradshaw qualified in springboard events.

Reach the reporter at nicole.klauss@asu.edu.

×