Anti-Arpaio march turns violent

P1_Arpaio2_1.19_WEB
SO IT BEGINS: Anti-Arpaio protesters leave Falcon Park on Saturday to begin a three-mile march up 35th Avenue to Tent City. (Photo by Molly Smith)

A 10,000-person march against Maricopa County Sheriff Joe Arpaio in Phoenix Saturday ended with the arrests of five people, including at least one ASU student.

The rally started peacefully with music, theater and dancing, but took a turn when the crowd became violent, causing Phoenix police officers to fight back with pepper spray.

Immigration reform organizations Puente Arizona and nationwide Movimiento Estudiantil Chicano de Aztlan (MEChA), helped organize the event along with several other groups.

Sandra Castro, a history senior and member of ASU’s chapter of MEChA, worked to organize the rally.

Castro has been involved in two previous anti-Arpaio marches that have led to investigations by the Department of Justice and the FBI.

“We’re hoping that third time is a charm and we actually get [President Barack] Obama and [Homeland Security Secretary Janet] Napolitano to actually do something … and to hold Joe Arpaio accountable for his actions,” she said.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement removed Arpaio’s authority to enforce federal immigration law last year amid accusations of abuse of power. Section 287(g) of the law permits local and state officers to act as ICE officers and perform immigration law enforcement functions, which led to criticism that Arpaio’s officers targeted Hispanics.

“The state of Arizona is the guinea pig for the United States,” Castro said. “A lot of people see Arpaio and the 287(g) like a dangerous cancer that just needs to be terminated once and for all.”

Protestors from as far as Miami joined the march. By 9 a.m. a growing crowd was stirring, wearing shirts and carrying signs that read “Stop Arpaio,” “Arpaio is not my America” and “Obama: ¿Donde está la reforma?”

Members of MEChA and others volunteered as security to ensure the safety of the marchers, who began to walk at 11:45 a.m. Crowds walked down South 35th Avenue to West Durango Street, where Tent City is located.

Speakers at the rally included activist Dolores Huerta, who worked with César Chávez, Zack de la Rocha from Rage Against the Machine, and Salvador Reza, an organizer of the event.

“What I want is a message very clear to the Obama Administration that the abuse of power in Arizona needs to stop,” Reza said.

ASU students both participated in the rally and worked as security guards.

History sophomore Jade Pawley marched in the rally and said she has attended human rights rallies for several years.

“Everyone deserves basic human rights and there’s no reason why certain individuals who come over here should not be entitled to those rights just because they’re from another country,” Pawley said.

During the march, people came out of their homes to join marchers or give them water bottles. People driving by honked their horns and shouted “Sí Se Puede!”

Throughout the march, people shouted, “Reforma sí! Arpaio no!”

No Arpaio supporters were present to comment about the event.

Once the crowd arrived at Tent City, violence broke out as people ran in every direction and police officers drove through the crowds with their lights and sirens on.

A YouTube video posted Sunday shows a police officer on horseback amid a crowd of shouting marchers.

At one point, the officer takes out her pepper spray and sprays the crowd, hitting many people in the face, including children and a 2-year-old, who wasn’t injured, according to a statement released by the Phoenix Police Department.

Five “anarchist” marchers dressed all in black with bandanas over their faces and carrying signs that read “Assassinate Arpaio” shouted profanities at the officers.

Phoenix police Sgt. Andy Hill, a spokesman for the department, said the self-proclaimed anarchists also assaulted several officers and a horse, and threw traffic cones and water bottles at officers.

Five of them were arrested, including ASU student Issa A. Emadi, 26. Also arrested were Claire E. Brock, 23, Sarah G. Daniels, 23, Jeremiah M Henry, 18, and Garyn Klasek, 30. The five were arrested for various reasons, including suspicion of aggravated assault on police, resisting arrest and disorderly conduct.

Though the crowd largely broke up after the arrests, many marchers continued to celebrate at Tent City.

Social work senior and MEChA member D.J. Portugal, who worked security at the march, said the rally wasn’t simply a time for people to get together because they dislike Arpaio.

“It’s to get people together … to fight for justice and to fight for change,” he said.

Reach the reporter at mpareval@asu.edu

×