Well, this is ironic.

One of the biggest reasons the New York Jets made the NFL playoffs to begin with is because the Indianapolis Colts pulled their starters in their game against New York on Dec. 27, which helped the Jets virtually back into the postseason.

And after wins on the road against the Bengals and Chargers, those same pesky Jets will travel back to Indy with a chance to express their appreciation that the Colts played their “B” team last month by knocking them out of the playoffs and punching the ticket to the Super Bowl.

Much of the Jets’ success is because of three rookies.

Rex Ryan — or “Sexy Rexy,” as the cool kids say — has done one heck of a job in his first season in New York.

The guy is one of the best defensive minds in the game, and now he has shown he has the leadership skills to motivate an entire football team. Already giving his players their Super Bowl itinerary was a pretty genius move.

Of course, everyone likes to talk about quarterback Mark Sanchez. And while his numbers don’t pop off the page — he had just 100 yards passing against San Diego — he has made the clutch throws at the key moments of the game.

But I’ve been most impressed with running back Shonn Greene, as his 263 rushing yards through two playoff games is the second-best total by a rookie in NFL history.

I still believe the Colts will win this game. But I thought the Chargers would, too. genius move.

Then there are the two first-year players carrying the offense.

I still believe the Colts will win this game. But I thought the Chargers would, too.

×