Water polo kicks off season at Irvine tourney

WaterPolo2_1
FIRING THE ROCK: The ASU water polo team practices shooting this past Monday at the Mona Plummer Aquatic Center. (Photo by Kyle Thompson)

After several months of anticipation, the 2010 season begins Saturday for the ASU water polo team.

The No. 8 Sun Devils hit the road to Irvine, Calif., to compete in the UCI/ Bakersfield Mini Tournament.

“We are excited to go out, start the season and play,” ASU coach Todd Clapper said.

ASU plays against No. 17 Cal State Bakersfield, No. 16 Long Beach State and No. 9 UC Irvine.

“In the short term, we want to get the three wins and compete hard,” Clapper said. “In the long term, we want to be able to use competition as learning — to be learning from our mistakes and get better.”

The Cal St. Bakersfield Roadrunners were picked to place second in the Western Water Polo Association for the 2010 season.

Senior driver Alyson Moss returns to lead the way for the Roadrunners. Moss was a 2009 second-team WWPA selection last season.

“Bakersfield is rebuilding a bit, [but] their team will continue to get better throughout the season,” Clapper said.

The 49ers of LBSU will square off against the Sun Devils in ASU’s second matchup of the tournament.

Clapper described Long Beach State as a very physical opponent. Junior driver Lauren Sieprath was honored with a first-team All-Big West selection at the conclusion of the 2009 season.

The Anteaters of UCI finished last season No. 9 nationally and also won the Big West Tournament Championship.

“Irvine is always well-balanced [and] fundamental, and their coaching is very strategic,” Clapper said. “Irvine is always a game that is a tight contest. We know what we need to do to win that game. They are a challenging opponent.”

Reach the reporter at gjdillar@asu.edu

×