ASU students join with Iranian counterparts in protest

Organized by ASU students and other volunteers, a sea of protesters carrying green banners and flags demonstrated against alleged human rights crimes committed by the Iranian government against its people.

After a demonstration on Friday in front of the Memorial Union on the Tempe campus, the group’s Wednesday night protest was held at Camelback Road and 24th Street in Phoenix.

Last June’s controversial presidential election — where protesters questioned Iranian President Ahmadinejad’s supposed victory — led to protests all over the world.

Amir B., a doctoral student in civil engineering who withheld his last name for safety purposes, is one of the ASU coordinators for Democracy and Freedom for Iran – Arizona chapter.

“The people were sure the election was a fraud,” he said. “They went to the streets to protest peacefully and were cracked down by riot police and militia.”

Feb. 11 marks the 30th anniversary of the Islamic revolution that took over Iran. Because of the significance of the day, massive protests are planned all over Iran.

Renee Behinfar of Scottsdale, the creator of the “Democracy and Freedom for Iran - Arizona chapter” Facebook group, was the main coordinator of the demonstration.

“We are supporting democracy and freedom for Iran and the restoration of civil and human rights for Iranians,” she said.

The protesters in Iran are expected to be met with a lot of force and violence, she said, more so than the original election protests.

Iranian university students have been a big part of the protests challenging their government, Amir said.

“So many liberal students gathered to ask for freedom — the government doesn’t like that,” he said. “A few of my own friends were detained for a few months for protesting.”

Tooraj Bakhtiari, a second coordinator and the group’s spokesman, said its biggest goal is to let the public know about the fight for the Iranian people.

“You’re not supposed to be killed because of your views, sexual orientation, because you’re a woman or have a different religion,” he said. “We are a caring and loving people and we want to show that to the rest of the world.”

The simplest thing people can do is let their voices be heard, Behinfar said.

“We want to let ASU students know that fighting for human and civil rights is important, no matter what country you live in,” he said.

Reach the reporter at mmbarke1@asu.edu

×