How does one define a hero?

Does it take a muscle-laden, spandex-clad champion of justice? Does it take a kind heart and a compassionate soul, one who aims to touch the lives of all living things?

Sometimes, as one ASU alumnus has shown us, it can be as simple as taking a chance on doing what’s right.

His story is one of great personal sacrifice and dedication to lifting up the downtrodden.

His story is this: A 1994 graduate, Greg Byrne jumped directly into his dream industry. Within years, he had already reached a lofty position in a nationally respected organization. Byrne chased success and continually reached it.

This was evident when he reached the top in February 2008, landing a coveted job in a developing market.

Showing a great deal of promise at 38 years old, the former Sun Devil was recently offered a substantial raise, reflecting his praiseworthy performance and realized potential.

Instead of taking the money and continuing to grow his current organization, Byrne did the unthinkable: He turned it down and he left — all in the spirit of community service.

Yes, this week, Byrne took an admirably brave step — he left behind his secure, high-paying career in Mississippi in order to take on a charity case of the highest degree.

He will move his family across the country and leave behind everything, taking up residence in one of the least desirable locations on the globe, often likened to a third-world country.

In his new position, Byrne will keep busy trying to help the development of severely disadvantaged young men and women who could previously be described as nothing more than helpless. He will attempt to give these poor young souls a future they otherwise wouldn’t have.

He will head an organization badly damaged by years of futility and try to make it come out smelling like roses.

Even the organization’s most promising young stars often fall short. One man recently viewed as the poster child for this organization was arrested for drinking and driving. Before the incident, he was looking at a potential six- to seven-figure career. Now, he’s working at Buffalo Wild Wings. It’s sad, it’s harrowing, and it’s far from uncommon where Byrne is heading.

It’s impossible work, but someone has to do it.

In that, Byrne has taught the community a lesson: Sometimes, when you have it all, you have to take a step back and help those who have nothing. In this selflessness, Byrne is a hero.

That’s why Byrne is so admirable and so bold. And why he’s an inspiration to all of us: He has truly made good on his ASU education.

We heartily congratulate him for his bravery, for his dedication to helping those who need it most and for his new job — as the Athletic Director at UA.

×