Arizona natives Dearspeak aim for pop glory

Creating a solid pop record is definitely not an easy feat, especially when the airwaves are polluted with label-created bubblegum pop. It takes some talent and lot of passion to put together something worthwhile, and passion is definitely what Arizona natives Dearspeak have.

With their recent six-song EP, “Tame the Hysteria,” the band has proven they have what it takes and that they’re here to stay. Formed in May of 2009 and fronted by singer-songwriter Ree Boado, Dearspeak’s sound blends indie elements with a pleasant mix of piano pop rock.

“Tame the Hysteria” is definitely a solid debut from a band with boundless potential, with strong melodies and Boado’s soulfully elegant voice. It’s a record that leaves you wanting more.

The album is comprised of six beautifully crafted, vibrant and immensely blissful songs. The EP opens up with “Emerald City,” a soft guitar-driven song that tells a tale of love and hurt and is accompanied by Boado’s sincere vocals.

Quite possibly the best track on the record, “Famine the Feast” is an upbeat amalgamation of pop bliss, hard pounding drums and the ever present soft strum of a guitar.

Part of what makes this a fantastic record is its consistency. However, this could also be a bad thing because it could lead to a certain amount of boredom with the record. And that’s where the idea of longevity comes into play.

What makes a great record is when its easy for a listener to connect with the artist behind the record they’re listening to, being able to sense the playfulness on a record and the feeling that the band actually enjoys creating music. This is what makes listening to a record that much more “worth it” and that’s exactly what Dearspeak has done with this EP.

For a band that’s still in its infancy, Dearspeak has the musical chops to create even bigger and better records in the future. And, at this pace, the future might not be too far away.

All in all, “Tame the Hysteria” is a fantastic debut from a band with a lot of talent. It’s a record that deserves a lot of listening to because once you do, it’s pretty much impossible to resist nodding your head and singing along to its infectious pop tunes.

Reach the reporter at ahkassim@asu.edu

Upcoming Shows:

March 5th: First Fridays @ Holgas

821 N 3rd St, Phoenix, Arizona 85004

Cost: FREE

Time: 7 – 10pm

March 19th: Hoodlums Music - In-Store Show

6434 S. McClintock, Tempe, Arizona 85283

Cost: FREE

Time: 7 – 9pm

*March 26th: Yucca Tap Room – CD Release Show

21+

29 W Southern Ave, TEMPE, Arizona 85282

Cost: TBD

Time: TBD

×