It wasn’t quite on the scale of Ron Artest’s behavior in 2004, but the punch thrown by Baylor women’s basketball player Brittney Griner Wednesday night has somewhat turned into the shot heard ‘round the sports world.

Sure, anytime a collegiate sports figure loses his or her temper that way, it’s probably going to make SportsCenter.

Does New Mexico soccer ring a bell?

But Griner’s blow to Texas Tech’s Jordan Barncastle’s face has garnered so much national attention for one simple reason: She can dunk.

It’s just funny how one basketball act that only counts for two points creates so much buzz when it’s done by a woman.

Yeah, I’ve covered my fair share of college women’s basketball the past three years. I’ve never seen someone dunk. That would be sweet.

I also watched Griner play in person when ASU took on Baylor earlier this season. I admit I was hoping she would dunk in the game and was slightly disappointed when she didn’t.

But Griner is way more than “that girl that can dunk.” She’s already one of the most dominant post players in the nation as a freshman.

Griner’s act was uncalled for and requires a harsh punishment, but in a way it’s a shame that now she’s going to be known as “that girl that can dunk that punched someone” by the casual sports fan.

×