Phoenix Suns forward Amar’e Stoudemire recently told Yahoo! Sports that he is “getting more expensive by the game.”

Sounds arrogant, but it’s simply the truth.

Since nearly being traded at the deadline, Stoudemire has averaged 27.4 points and 9.7 rebounds per game. Those are Kobe Bryant numbers. Dwayne Wade numbers. Dirk Nowitzki numbers.

Stoudemire has a player option worth $17 million that he could exercise to guarantee at least one more season in purple and orange. A deep playoff run for the Suns might further encourage him to do that, but after enduring endless trade rumors for two straight seasons, he might be ready to test free agent waters.

On top of that, the Suns don’t seem willing to pay Stoudemire the money he wants. In the forthcoming free agent extravaganza of 2010, Stoudemire would certainly pull a monster contract — maybe at the maximum salary.

Stoudemire is, without a doubt, one of the best power forwards in the league. If the Suns have Stoudemire in their plans for the future, it’s time to write a blank check. He’s getting the money somewhere, and it’s safe to say that Suns fans — and Stoudemire — would like to see it happen in Phoenix.

×