Let me be transparent right off the bat and admit that I’m a Florida Gator fan. I was very close to going there and have often regretted my decision while watching the UF football and men’s basketball teams rack up national titles during my college years.

Just kidding, Sun Devil Nation. I can’t imagine myself anywhere but here. Nevertheless, I still pull for the school I almost went to.

But I can’t support Urban Meyer’s recent verbal attack on Orlando Sentinel reporter Jeremy Fowler after a spring practice because of a story he wrote about the future of the Gator passing game without Tim Tebow.

The story is centered around highly-touted receiver Deonte Thompson and his comparisons between Tebow and new starting quarterback John Brantley.

The quote from Thompson that caused so much controversy reads: “You never know with Tim. You can bolt, you think he’s running but he’ll come up and pass it to you. You just have to be ready at all times. With Brantley, everything’s with rhythm, time. You know what I mean, a real quarterback.”

While the entire original article could have been framed better, that quote is mild.

It’s not rocket science to figure out that Thompson meant Brantley is a more traditional quarterback, which is absolutely true. Tebow is one of the best college football players of all time, but there was nothing conventional about his game, and it didn’t cater to a balanced passing attack.

That quote certainly isn’t worthy of causing the most-publicized blowup by a coach at a reporter since Oklahoma State football coach Mike Gundy’s “I’m a man! I’m 40!” tirade.

Thompson later said he was embarrassed by the remarks and didn’t mean to say anything negative about Tebow, and I’m all for a coach sticking up for his players, but there’s a time and way to handle that situation. Going off on a reporter in front of fans and other journalists was more than disrespectful.

For someone who is supposed to be reducing his stress level, Meyer certainly isn’t doing himself any favors by getting so bent out of shape about something so small in the grand scheme of things.

Take a chill pill, Urban.

×