On Wednesday, searchers found the body of a 39-year-old woman who disappeared Monday near Munds Park in northern Arizona after leaving to take her dog on a walk.

According to The Arizona Republic, Tanya Morris was discovered fewer than two miles from where her car was parked, and sheriff’s officials believe she died from exposure to the elements.

Earlier this month, a 17-year-old high school senior named Chelsea King went missing while jogging in a park north of San Diego, and the country watched as dozens of searchers combed a four-mile area on the shore of Lake Hodges, according to ABC News. Her body was found six days after she went missing, and convicted sex offender John Albert Gardner III is being held on suspicion of rape and first-degree murder in the case.

Chandra Levy. Laci Peterson. Natalee Holloway.

These stories are far more common than they should be.

Tragedy does not strike those who deserve it — victims of violent and senseless crime do not head out for the night expecting to find disaster. Similarly, those who die in accidents are victims of just that — an accident.

Although these are examples of missing women and outstanding tragedy, their stories are further proof (in case we needed any) that every human life is precious, and utterly fragile.

Contrary to the average college student’s belief, we are not invincible.

For a generation that participates in rituals like 21 shots on a 21st birthday and finds blacking out to be funny (see textsfromlastnight.com), today’s youth are playing the odds when it comes to their lives, and the stakes are just too high.

As you head off to Mexico, California, Mill Avenue or wherever else you’re spending spring break, remember to bring your common sense along for the ride. Despite what the Nevada tourism industry would have you believe, what happens in Vegas does not always stay there.

Alcohol is an accelerant for dangerous situations — as people who scour through police reports on a daily basis for story ideas, take our word for that.

In State Press stories this semester we’ve seen a drunken box-cutter stabbing, sexual assault aided by date rape drugs and a plethora of alcohol-related infractions on or around campus.

And all that’s been when school was in session.

We don’t mean to say that fun equals bad or alcohol is the root of all evil, but how much spring break frivolity is worth your life? A good rule of thumb is not to gamble what you’re not willing to lose.

Maybe you’re laughing right now, maybe you’re shaking your head and maybe you’re saying that we just don’t get it. But maybe you’ll think — and that just may save your life.

×