Fine arts student gaining recognition with paparazzi-inspired work

A candidate in the Master of Fine Arts photography program is drawing attention at ASU with his paparazzi-inspired art.

Peter Bugg, a Wisconsin native who came to ASU in 2006 when he was “ready for a change of scenery,” is leaving his imprint at ASU through art exhibits, showcasing his love for photography and interest in celebrities, and teaching summer classes.

Bugg said he first became interested and involved in photography during his time spent as an undergraduate at the University of Chicago.

When Bugg came to ASU, his interest switched to celebrities and how the paparazzi photograph them. Bugg decided to intern with a Los Angeles-based paparazzi agency that let him tag along with professional photographers of the stars.

Recently, Bugg’s MFA thesis exhibit, titled “Paper or Plastic,” was displayed in the Harry Wood Gallery on the Tempe campus. The exhibit displayed “altered and recontextualized magazines designed to investigate the intersection of pop culture and Culture with a capital ‘C,’” according to the Herberger Institute’s Web site.

Bugg said the exhibit, which came down in February, went well and that he received good comments in person and in the exhibit’s guestbook.

Two of Bugg’s pieces were recently featured in a group show at Eye Lounge, and he will be partaking in a two-person show at the same art space that will open on April 16.

In the past, Bugg has taught a two-week summer digital photography course for kids, and currently has plans to teach two sessions of the course again this summer.

“I’m excited to do it again,” Bugg said.

The course will cover basic camera aspects, along with portrait and landscape photography and an introduction to Photoshop, Bugg said.

Bugg will graduate in May with a MFA in photography and will begin the process of looking for a job.

As for now, Bugg said he will look to either continue his teaching career or work at a local art gallery or museum.

When asked what kind of advice he would give to students interested in photography and art, Bugg said the best way to learn is by actually making art.

Reach the reporter at cebrown4@asu.edu

×