Hot hitting powers softball to perfect weekend

SPECIAL DELIVERY: ASU freshman Sam Parlich throws a pitch during the Sun Devils' win over Rutgers last month. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

After winning Thursday’s warm-up against UC Santa Barbara, the ASU softball team went on to sweep four games in the Wilson/DeMarini Invitational over the weekend.

ASU (16-2) battled to two wins on Friday, 8-4 over Idaho State and 10-0 over Northern Iowa. Saturday proved less of a challenge, as the Sun Devils topped Samford 6-1 and UC Santa Barbara 8-0.

“We’re improving,” ASU coach Clint Myers said. “We need to strive for better mental consistency, but we’re moving in the right direction.”

In the opening game of the tournament, ASU struggled at first against ISU. After being held scoreless through four innings, the Sun Devils’ bats came alive.

ASU scored two in the fifth to go up 2-1 before senior pitcher Megan Elliott allowed three runs in the bottom of the inning. But ASU went to work at the plate again, scoring three runs on senior outfielder Caylyn Carlson’s home run to start the sixth and stay ahead for good.

“The resiliency of a good ball club is they come back and figure out a way to win,” Myers said.

Sophomore shortstop Katelyn Boyd was 2-for-3 in the game with four stolen bases, and Elliott got the win in a complete-game effort.

ASU followed up immediately by making quick work of UNI, cruising to the 10-0 shutout as Hillary Bach threw five scoreless innings for the win and the game ended by run rule.

Sophomore right fielder Annie Lockwood put ASU on the board right away with a two-run home run in the first inning.

The fourth inning saw Boyd and Lockwood put the Panthers away for good with a two-run home run each, their ninth and sixth on the season, respectively.

For the first game of Saturday’s doubleheader, freshman pitcher Sam Parlich (3-1) took the circle for ASU and allowed just one run on four hits in a complete game effort to top SU. Parlich also collected two hits at the plate.

“Sam’s a very good athlete,” Myers said. “We expect the things that she’s doing.”

Carlson remained hot at the plate, sending a bullet over the wall in left-center for her second home run of the weekend.

“I’m just staying relaxed up there,” Carlson said. “I’m letting my ability take over and trying not to think.”

Elliott pitched for ASU in game two against UCSB, successfully rebounding from her shaky outing against ISU. She (6-1) pitched five scoreless innings for the win, allowing six hits.

“I just came out mentally prepared,” Elliott said of her adjustment. “I was ready to go out there and just do my job.”

ASU scored in each of the first three innings to jump ahead of the Gauchos. Junior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth and senior first baseman Katie Crabb each had a two-run home run.

“When you have all those runs behind you, you just feel so confident out there,” Elliot said.

The game was shortened by run rule in unusual fashion when an errant throw that would have ended the fifth inning allowed sophomore outfielder Talor Haro to reach base and a run to score. Haro attempted to advance all the way to third base, and another bad throw allowed her to score to end the game.

Sunday’s tournament wrap up against Creighton was canceled due to rain and tentatively rescheduled for Tuesday. ASU also added a matchup with St. Johns for Tuesday night due to last weekend’s canceled games.

Reach the reporter at tlockman@asu.edu

×