Impeached USG senator and VP candidate keeps seat

An Undergraduate Student Government senator who is running as a vice president on an executive ticket in the upcoming USG elections was impeached but not convicted after a hearing and trial Tuesday night.

Allison DeVane, USG senator for Barrett, the Honors College, was accused of not fulfilling her duties as senator by failing to attend meetings of the Barrett Honors College Council, but was not convicted at a trial during a USG senate meeting.

Members of the BHCC spoke during the Senate meeting about DeVane’s reported lack of commitment, responsibility and attendance at the council meetings.

“She blatantly disregarded her commitment to BHCC,” said Emily Reynolds, the president of BHCC.

There’s a burden on senators to be in contact with their college councils, she said, and DeVane was not in consistent communication with BHCC.

This semester, Reynolds said DeVane didn’t attend most council meetings because of class conflicts, though she knew in advance at the beginning of the semester what time the meetings were held.

She also had class conflicts last semester, Reynolds said.

DeVane said she didn’t attend some meetings during the semester but argued that she has fulfilled other requirements.

“This semester, I’ve definitely spread myself way too thin,” she said.

However, DeVane said she doesn’t think she’s done the bare minimum.

DeVane is currently running for vice president of services on the same ticket as Brendan Corrigan, who is running for USG president during the upcoming school year.

Current USG President Brendan O’Kelly said DeVane was impeached the week before spring break.

There are two parts of impeachment: the impeachment and the conviction.

O’Kelly said that in an impeachment, evidence is brought before the Senate about the senator not performing his or her duties that he or she is obligated to do.

“In her case, it was not going to her college council meetings,” O’Kelly said. “It’s actually a really big deal. It’s something that senators take really seriously and they should because it’s their way to stay in touch with their constituents.”

DeVane hasn’t gone to her specific college meetings the entire year, he said.

The impeachment trial will not affect DeVane’s ability to run on an executive ticket during the elections, O’Kelly said.

Lucas Lindsey, who is running for vice president of policy on the same ticket as DeVane, said before the trial that he was confident DeVane would retain her position and the ticket has a good chance of winning.

“We’re extremely confident of the outcome of that,” Lindsey said. “The reason … we feel that way is because she does a fair amount for USG.”

Lindsey, an urban planning junior, said DeVane is the intern director for the USG Senate and shows up to almost every meeting.

“I just think that it will turn out well for us and everyone will see that she does a great job and she’ll be vindicated in the end,” Lindsey said.

Reach the reporter at reweaver@asu.edu

×