In each tournament during the spring season, ASU junior golfer Jesper Kennegard has moved further up the leaderboard.

On Sunday, the Sun Devils' top player put together his best performance of the season to win the individual crown at the Southern Highlands Collegiate Masters in Las Vegas.

The Sweden native finished the challenging 54-hole course at the Southern Highlands Golf Club with a  3-over 219, one stroke ahead of Florida senior Tyson Alexander and USC freshman T.J. Vogel.

As a team, ASU finished in sixth place with a 49-over 913, 14 shots behind event co-champions UNLV and UCLA.

Junior Scott Pinckney was ASU's second finisher, placing in a tie for 31st with a 16-over.

Junior James Byrne finished one shot behind Pickney to finish tied for 35th, senior Braxton Marquez, in his first start for ASU this spring, finished 42nd at 19-over and senior Knut Borsheim finished in a tie for 45th at 21-over par.

Kennegard, who has all but assured himself an earning All-American recognition with the win, got off to a blistering pace in the first round, playing the first three holes at 4-under, including an eagle on the 620-yard par-5 third hole.

No players in the field shot under par during the final round.

USC finished in a tie for third.

Reach the reporter at nkosmide@asu.edu

×