Letters to the Editor: March 31

Personal sins do not reflect doctrine

(In response to Becky Rubenstrunk’s Monday column, “Is Catholic clergy good with God? Not necessarily.”)

Becky Rubenstrunk’s attempt to undermine Catholic Church doctrine ironically supports the teachings and tradition of the Church more than it accomplishes its intended purpose.

In spite of clergymen’s transgressions, Church doctrine, according to the Catechism of the Catholic Church, remains clear that “[Rape] is always an intrinsically evil act. Graver still is the rape of children committed by ... those responsible for the education of the children entrusted to them.”

No Christian should be surprised upon learning that a man has sinned. Priests are, after all, just that -- merely men. They are subject to temptation, sin and judgment, just as anyone else is. The sacrament of Holy Orders does not protect them from the struggle against temptation.

Though this is a case of “do as we say, not as we do,” there is a difference between official Church teaching and personal sins committed by clergymen. It is not Church doctrine that abusing children is permissible. Not only does the Church proscribe this violence, but people of all walks of life recognize abuse like this as a terrible wrong. It is one of those laws written on our hearts, so to speak.

I make no defense of sexual assault or the men who commit the offenses. They know they are doing wrong. A lost battle against temptation is no excuse for the evil the Milwaukee priest has committed. However, my point remains: pointing out a clergyman’s wrongdoing does not constitute an attack on the Catholic Church or her doctrine.

Anthony Eskridge Graduate student

×