If President Barack Obama’s term in office has helped the Republican Party in one way, it’s in the common disapproval that has now created a passionate renewal in the true conservative movement. The annual Conservative Political Action Conference (CPAC) once had an attendance of merely 200 people before Reagan’s presidency, but the 2010 political conference brought in an astonishing 9,000 people to listen to honored speakers’ thoughts on issues pressing the nation.

Not to be confused with the neoconservatism commonly associated with George W. Bush, this movement, led in large part by Congressman Ron Paul, R-Texas, is working for our country to reflect the United States originally envisioned by our founding fathers. Encompassing basic values, such as free-market economy, limited government and individual liberties, supporters plan to stay true to the Constitution.

The true conservative community has a special relationship based on returning to our roots. We can understand, laugh at and ultimately be kind of depressed by Andrew Jackson’s face on the central bank’s currency. We find Zachary Karabell’s article in Time that states, “President Obama has called for independent commissions to seek ways to reduce spending,” to be confusing. The independent commission he should be asking is the American people. If there’s one way to reduce spending, conservatives know it’s to stop spending.

“Conservatives must shift focus, perhaps finding home in a type of conservativeness that reminds people of a time before the neoconservative movement infiltrated the true conservative movement,” said Tyler Miller, president of Young Americans for Liberty at ASU. “The only way to convince the people that they will actually stick to their principles when they are in power is to consistently apply them before they gain power.”

One example of a conservative-turned-neoconservative is George W. Bush. Bush ran campaigns denouncing nation-building. He won on conservative promises but stepped into office and didn’t stick to his guns. And now here we are, 10 years later, nation-building in Iraq.

The U.S. is being torn apart by war from one direction and deficit spending from the other. It is unfortunate many people don’t have enough money to buy everything they want, but it is true that with the chance of success comes the chance of failure, based not on the welfare of government but on the willingness of citizens to work for their earnings.

These revolutionaries won’t stop until the government recognizes our liberties. And you’ll see them, symbolized by the person continuing to fight in front of a large yellow flag, snake coiled and ready, saying proudly, “Don’t tread on me.”

Reach Brian at brian.p.anderson@asu.edu

×