Polytechnic campus creates 16 smoking areas

LESS SECOND-HAND:  ASU has created designated smoking areas on the Polytechnic campus. (Photo by Jessica Weisel)
LESS SECOND-HAND: ASU has created designated smoking areas on the Polytechnic campus. (Photo by Jessica Weisel)

Large quantities of improperly disposed-of cigarette butts have led ASU Polytechnic to create designated smoking areas throughout the campus.

Construction of 16 smoking areas consisting of shaded benches, trash cans and slim metal cigarette urns was completed earlier this semester, and the University is now encouraging students to use these areas to help keep their campus clean, Polytechnic spokeswoman Chris Lambrakis said.

The designated areas were built in compliance with Arizona law requiring smokers to be at least 25 feet from any building entrance before lighting up, encouraging students to observe this policy, Lambrakis said.

“After the new academic complex was completed, a number of students started using the seating areas outside for smoking, some of which are very close to entryways for classrooms and other buildings,” she said. “We want to help ensure students are abiding by the 25-foot policy, reduce the mess and provide a better experience for everyone on campus.”

Tar marks on concrete benches have been problematic for facilities management staff to clean, she said.

“The tar that’s left from putting cigarettes out on seating has to be cleaned. That takes a lot of time and that makes the campus look messy,” she said. “Additionally, to clean up all those cigarette butts, someone has to actually go out and pick those up one by one.”

The University currently spends $11,000 just to clean the ashtrays on the Tempe campus, and the totals for all four campus’ ashtrays and litter are well above that, ASU spokeswoman Julie Newberg said.

Some student smokers said they welcome the designated areas, citing a lack of proper receptacles as part of the reason cigarette butts litter the campus.

“I can think of only three ashtrays on campus right now, at least in the areas I’m near,” business administration senior Nicole Resmer said, mentioning a planter outside Peralta Hall that many students use as an ashtray.

“There’s just piles of [butts] in certain areas. You can look on the ground, and it’s clear there’s people who smoke there frequently,” Resmer said. “I see them everywhere and it almost makes me more inclined to throw mine in the same spot.”

Graphic information technology senior Lore Greenwood agreed that smoking areas would help reduce the number of butts left on the ground.

“I think [designated smoking areas] are a great idea,” Greenwood said. “People would definitely use them if there were actually ashtrays around.”

Some students, however, had concerns about the setup of the smoking areas.

Chad Williams, chairman of the Health and Counseling Student Action Committee, said not only is he unconvinced that designated areas will be effective in reducing trash, but the areas send a hazardous message to students.

“On the surface, it doesn’t sound very effective. What incentive do students have to go out of their way to smoke if they aren’t mandatory?” he said “Also, by putting all the smokers in one area, it gives a misrepresentation of social norms, and students think that smoking is heavily accepted on campus. That’s not good because that perception leads them to think it’s OK or not as risky.”

Based on her experience at Chandler-Gilbert Community College, Resner maintained that designated smoking areas are a positive change for the campus.

“When I first started going to Poly, I had just transferred from Chandler-Gilbert, and they had a lot of designated areas there. I was kind of surprised ASU didn’t,” she said. “I liked that a lot better. I feel like people look at me funny when I smoke just anywhere.”

Reach the reporter at keshoult@asu.edu

×