Softball continues to roll with two victories

READY TO LAUNCH: ASU senior infielder Katie Crabb waits for a pitch during the Sun Devils’ win against Rutgers last month.  ASU beat St. Johns 16-0 and Creighton 11-8 Wednesday at Farrington Stadium. (Photo by Michael Arellano)
READY TO LAUNCH: ASU senior infielder Katie Crabb waits for a pitch during the Sun Devils’ win against Rutgers last month. ASU beat St. Johns 16-0 and Creighton 11-8 Wednesday at Farrington Stadium. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

With a busy weekend ahead, the ASU softball team wrapped up midweek play with two wins Wednesday night, routing St. John’s 16-0 and edging Creighton 11-8.

The wins gave the No. 10 Sun Devils (19-2) a perfect 4-0 start to a demanding stretch that began with victories over both teams on Tuesday.

“We expect to go out on the field and win,” ASU coach Clint Myers said. “We’ve just got to be more consistent.”

The Sun Devils have little time to rest, with five weekend games ahead in the Diamond Devil Invitational starting Friday against Brigham Young (15-4) and Pacific (6-9). Saturday’s double-header features match ups with BYU and Nebraska (11-10), and Sunday’s closing game sees another game with UN.

In the first game, ASU sophomore pitcher Hillary Bach (8-0) was in command once again, tossing a complete-game shutout and allowing just six hits in the run rule-shortened game.

“The last couple games have felt really good confidence-wise,” Bach said after the game. “It’s so great to pitch behind such an incredible offense.”

The Sun Devil bats lit up the Red Storm pitching staff early with an eight-run first inning. Junior centerfielder Lesley Rogers collected a double and a three-run home run in the inning.

Compounding SJU’s problems were nine walks, seven of which resulted in ASU runs.

“When you give people free bases, it usually comes back to haunt you,” Myers said.

Junior catcher Kaylyn Castillo and sophomore shortstop Lexi Anderson also added three-run home runs, and sophomore Jessica Donovan hit a solo shot.

ASU again jumped out to an early lead in the second game, when three straight walks to start the game set up junior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth’s grand slam to center.

In her 10 games since returning from suspension, Donnenwirth is hitting .452 with 13 RBI and three home runs.

“I’m just seeing the ball a lot better since my first outing,” Donnewirth said. “My first game I was kind of just getting adjusted.”

Freshman Sam Parlich (4-1) took to the circle for ASU and was sharp through three innings before allowing two solo home runs in the fourth inning. Entering the fifth inning and needing only three outs to end the game by run rule, Parlich allowed two runs and left the game with two runners on base.

Senior Megan Elliott came into the game and allowed four runs to score, extending the game. Elliott went on to pitch two perfect innings to earn a save as Parlich got the win.

“[Parlich] is a freshman — she’s going to make mistakes,” Myers said.

Sophomore shortstop Katelyn Boyd hit her 10th home run of the season, and senior left fielder Caylyn Carlson added a two-run home run in the fourth inning.

With just three weekends remaining before Pac-10 play begins, ASU will face its first big test against BYU and UN.

The BYU offense, which is outscoring opponents 128-67, is led by senior first baseman Andrea Ramirez, who enters the weekend hitting .328 with 25 RBI and eight home runs.’

“They’re good teams, but I think it’s nothing we can’t handle,” Donnenwirth said.

BYU’s ace, junior Paige Affleck, will look to tame the ASU offense as she enters the weekend 10-3 with a 2.48 ERA.

“We’ve got three good teams coming in,” Myers said. “It’s going to be good softball this weekend.”

Reach the reporter at tlockman@asu.edu

×