Softball tops South Florida, other two weekend games canceled

WHACK IT OUTA HERE: Junior outfielder/first baseman Dani Rae Lougheed goes for a hit in last week's game against Rutgers. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

WHACK IT OUTA HERE: Junior outfielder and first baseman Dani Rae Lougheed goes for a hit in last weeks game against Rutgers.

Rain and sickness shook up the weekend for the ASU softball team, as unusual conditions saw the Sun Devils play just one game, an 8-7 win over South Florida on Friday.

Sunday’s game was moved to Saturday, and both games were moved to earlier in the day to avoid impending rain, but all but five of USF’s players were sick with a stomach virus, so the games were canceled. An attempt to get a game in Sunday was hampered by the rain and poor field conditions.

“It’s always frustrating when you lose a game to weather,” ASU associate head coach Robert Wagner said. “We were really looking forward to having the single games each day.”

Wagner said the Sun Devils (10-2) would try to pick up a couple games in upcoming tournaments to make up for the weekend, but at least one game could end up a forfeit by USF.

With at least seven of USF’s players out with a stomach virus, a depleted USF team put up quite a battle Friday.

The Bulls (5-5) struck first against ASU senior pitcher Megan Elliot, putting one run on the board in the first inning after a wild pitch and a single. Elliot struggled in the game, allowing five runs on eight hits and walking three batters.

“She had a little too much adrenaline going,” Wagner said. “She’s just got to find some ways to calm down and stay relaxed.”

ASU struck back quickly, as sophomore right fielder Annie Lockwood singled home a run in the first inning. Lockwood finished the game 2-for-4 with two RBI, and it was her game-tying seventh inning leadoff home run that kept ASU alive.

Lockwood belted the shot to lead off the seventh after ASU sophomore pitcher Hillary Bach gave up two runs and the lead to USF in their part of the inning. Junior catcher Lacy Goodman hit a bases-loaded single in the bottom of eighth to give ASU, and Bach (4-0), the win 8-7.

Sophomore shortstop Katelyn Boyd went 4-for-4 in the game with two RBI, and junior infielder Mandy Urfer hit two home runs to tally three RBI.

“I felt really relaxed,” Urfer said. “I was very free and easy with my swing.”

A positive of the weekend for the team was the return of junior third baseman Krista Donnenwirth, who had been suspended for an offseason team rules violation. Donnenwirth went 0-for-4 in her season debut.

Reach the reporter at tyler.lockman@asu.edu

×