The start of a busy week went smoothly for the ASU women’s tennis team with a 7-0 victory over Memphis Wednesday.

The dual was decided in less than three hours, with only two matches using a tiebreaker.

A sweep of the doubles matches gave ASU (7-2, 2-0 Pac-10) the lead and momentum.

“It’s really important to get off to a good start and try to capitalize on that,” ASU coach Sheila McInerney said.

Three quick dominating victories by ASU junior Micaela Hein, junior Kelcy McKenna and sophomore Sianna Simmons clinched the win over the Tigers (6-11).

“We were a better team then them,” McInerney said. “My big things is showing respect by going out there, competing hard and trying to get off the court as fast as you can.”

Hein defeated Memphis senior Ashley Murdock in two sets (6-1, 6-0) followed by McKenna over Memphis senior Marjorie Ondeck (6-1, 6-0) and Simmons over Memphis freshman Andrea Arques-Garcia.

ASU freshman Nicole Smith competed in her first singles match as a Sun Devil and defeated Memphis freshman Kelly Gray (7-5, 1-6 (10-6)).

“She was nervous,” McInerney said of Smith. “It was her first singles match in probably 14 months. She just needs to play more.”

ASU senior Nadia Abdala and freshman Hannah James also recorded singles victories against the Tigers.

ASU’s Hein, who moved up to the No. 1 spot against Memphis, was also named Pac-10 Player of the Week after winning all of her matches in Washington last weekend.

She said she didn’t know what to think of the honor after winning it for the first time, but was surprised to find out she was only the seventh all-time Pac-10 Player of the Week selection for ASU.

Hein has been a large part of the Sun Devil’s four straight victories.

“Everyone is playing really well, and we’re excited to have these next couple matches at home,” Hein said. “This weekend is a big weekend for us.”

Two Pac-10 schools, Oregon (5-9, 0-2 Pac-10) and No. 13 USC (8-5, 1-0 Pac-10), travel to Tempe over the weekend.

The Ducks started the season 5-1 but have lost eight straight heading into Friday’s dual.

“Oregon is a good team,” McInerney said. “They’ve struggled a little bit as far as their record, but they’ve played a really good schedule. They are battle-tested.”

USC, while ranked No. 13, is behind three other schools in California in the rankings.

Reach the reporter at nathan.meacham@asu.edu

×