Track opens outdoor season with six top finishes

ASU sophomore Samantha Henderson competes in the long jump during the Baldy Castillo Invitational on Saturday at Sun Angel Stadium. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

(Photo by Michael Arellano)

The ASU men’s and women’s track and field teams opened up the outdoor season this past weekend at home in the Baldy Castillo Invitational at Sun Angel Stadium.

Over 400 athletes from schools such as ASU, Nebraska, NAU, Minnesota, North Dakota State and Mesa Community College competed in the meet, as the warm weather attracted schools from colder climates.

ASU coach Greg Kraft said the season-opening meet was a good transition into the outdoor season as the teams hope to contend for the Pac-10 title.

“It was a nice, solid start for the entire team,” Kraft said. “It was really nice to give everyone a chance to compete.”

Overall, the Sun Devils women won four total events, with the sprinters capturing three of those wins.

ASU junior sprinter Jasmine Chaney placed first in the 200-meter dash with a time of 23.44 seconds, and freshman Keia Pinnick took second in the race in 24.14 seconds.

Chaney was also a part of the winning 4x400 relay team along with Pinnick, junior Dominique’ Maloy and sophomore Samantha Henderson that ran 3:44.20.

“Jasmine quickly picked up where she left off from the indoor season,” Kraft said. “It was a nice start for her.”

ASU sophomore sprinter Kayla Sanchez took first in the 100-meter dash in 12.20 seconds and also took fourth in the 200-meter dash with a time of 24.84 seconds.

The final victory for the women came from junior Kari Hardt in the 800-meter race, as she won in 2:08.47. Kraft said he was impressed by Hardt so early in the season.

“It was good to see her step in and start the season with a 2:08,” he said.

Two Sun Devil men were also victorious at the meet.

Junior distance runner Jeff Helmer won the men’s 3000-meter race in 8:13.21, breaking the Sun Angel Stadium record in the process.

“It was a great start for him,” Kraft said, noting Helmer’s time was near his personal best in the event.

Sophomore thrower Marc Peck was also victorious in the men’s javelin throw, which is an outdoors only event. Peck took first with a throw of 64.55 meters (211-09 feet).

The team will host another meet next weekend, as the ASU Invitational takes place at Sun Angel Stadium.

Kraft said he expects the competition to be tougher next weekend, especially with Texas A&M coming to town. The Aggies’ men’s and women’s teams each won the NCAA Outdoor Championship last season.

Reach the reporter at eric.l.smith@asu.edu

×