When the United States finally backed a bill to limit international trade of endangered polar bears and Atlantic bluefin tuna last week, the U.N. rejected the proposal, sending a message about the current priorities of the global community.

Opposed by Japan, part of the ban would have ultimately put a halt to all trade of the dwindling populations of bluefin tuna, and a strain on Japanese fishermen.

Without the ban, it’s likely fish populations will continue to drop by astronomical proportions as they have the past several years — so much so that it is liable to affect the Japanese economy regardless.

According to the U.N. Convention on International Trade and Endangered Species, bluefin tuna stocks have declined by over 80 percent in the past 40 years. The species continues to be hunted at staggering rates to satisfy the demand for sushi in Japan and around the world.

The polar bear situation is just as bleak — while the animals are already struggling due to a drastically warmer climate, they continue to be hunted for their skin, teeth and claws.

Animal extinction is a looming threat to the planet as the human population continues to grow and consume resources. In 2007, an International Union for Conservation and Nature press release reported that 8,462 animal species were known to be threatened, over 3,000 more than reports 11 years prior.

Unfortunately, many officials seem not to understand the possible significance of dwindling populations of various species. Any intro-level biology class teaches that a loss in biodiversity can have cascading effects on other species, including humans.

Several scientists and environmentalists have been concerned about the effects that mass extinctions of key species will have on the human population. Articles published in the Public Library of Science open-access journal share these fears.

“Biodiversity in the broad sense affects the properties of ecosystems and, therefore, the benefits that humans obtain from them,” according to a 2006 article, “Biodiversity Loss Threatens Human Well-Being,” from the journal.

Essentially, the population of predators, like the polar bear and bluefin tuna, help determine the population of species lower on the food chain. As these predators are hunted out of the food web, their ecosystems change drastically, generally providing negative results.

By shutting down the proposal, members of the U.N. seemed not to be as concerned with environmental issues as they are with others plaguing the global community.

Changes in the environment are argued by many to be the greatest threats to worldwide peace, equity and economic well-being. And without biodiversity, environmental health will continue to deplete.

Nicole is trying to save the polar bears. Help her out at ndgilber@asu.edu

×