The next time you crave your favorite greasy American burger and fries combo or while you’re ordering your morning coffee at Starbucks, you might just change your mind.

Or at least, that’s the hope under a section of President Barack Obama’s new health care package, which will require chain restaurants with 20 or more locations to post calorie counts on their menus and drive-through signs.

With the average American eating out four times a week, according to the Center for Science in Public Interest, calorie counts on common fast food items may surprise regular consumers.

For example, McDonald’s Web site reveals that a large chocolate milkshake, with a total of 500 calories, is more than a hamburger, small French fries and small Coke combined.

New York City was the first place in the country to require calorie counts be posted in major chain restaurants.

As it turns out, healthier choices have been provided by the chain restaurants according to Cathy Nonas, who directs the New York City Health Department’s physical activity and nutrition programs.

She noticed that since 2007 Dunkin’ Donuts launched its lower-calorie DDSmart options, KFC began selling grilled chicken, Starbucks switched to lower-fat milk for espresso-based drinks and McDonald’s cut its serving size for large French fries by 0.6 ounces, according to the Associated Press.

“You hope the calorie posting is going to put pressure on the chain restaurants — because they have to post those calories — to reformulate and make small changes in what they offer,” said Nonas to the AP. “And indeed, we’re seeing that. Obviously not with everything, but there are changes in almost every restaurant.”

Critics have complained that the new rules are putting too much emphasis on calorie counts and not on overall nutrition. Others gripe about the costs of new menu labeling that will range between $8,000 and $10,000 for franchise owners.

Some even think this is a personal decision that should be left up to the consumers and the government should stay out of the issue.

Perhaps these concerns would not be overlooked quite as much if the percentage of overweight Americans was not at a whopping 67 percent.

The National Restaurant Association praised the program calling it a “win for consumers and restaurateurs.”

Still for many, going out to eat is supposed to be an enjoyable activity and tacking on calorie amounts next to the meals simply ruins the occasion.

A study done by Stanford University found that during the first year of implementation of the law in New York City that customers did cut back on high-calorie foods, however they still consumed their coffee drinks.

But the researches said that the best is yet to come and restaurants just might start slimming down their meals to gain an advantage against competitors.

Naturally with any new government program that invokes change, there is going to be controversy. But with regular exposure to calorie counts, consumers may just become more conscious of what they’re eating, which in the long run could lead to better overall health.

Reach Monique at monique.zatcoff@asu.edu

×