Blown away: Sun Devils drop Pac-10 opener

FIRE AWAY: ASU sophomore shortstop Katelyn Boyd prepares to throw across the diamond in the Sun Devils' 12-6 loss to UA on Thursday night at Farrington Stadium. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

With Farrington Stadium filled to capacity and the wind blowing out, the ASU softball team opened its Pac-10 schedule Thursday night with a loss to No. 2 UA, 12-6.

The teams entered the game as the nation’s top two scoring teams, but it was UA’s bats that prevailed, collecting 13 hits to improve to 29-3 overall and 1-0 in the Pac-10.

The No. 10 Sun Devils (31-5, 0-1 Pac-10) couldn’t take advantage of UA freshman pitcher Kenzie Fowler’s nine walks, as they left 10 runners on base.

“We had opportunities, we’ve got to cash them in,” ASU coach Clint Myers said. “Leaving 10 on against U of A is too many.”

The Wildcats jumped out to an early lead, tagging sophomore pitcher Hillary Bach for five runs in the first five batters of the game. Senior shortstop K’Lee Arredondo hit a three-run home run before freshman third baseman Brigette Del Ponte launched a two-run shot over the wall to put UA up 5-0.

“Against a good hitting team like Arizona, [if] you miss over the plate, they’re going to hit it hard,” Myers said.

ASU fired back in its part of the first inning, posting four runs after Fowler (19-2) walked the first three batters. Sophomore right fielder Annie Lockwood drove in a run on a single, and junior first baseman Mandy Urfer put a run across on a sacrifice fly.

Free passes proved deadly for Bach as well, though, as she walked three batters in UA’s three-run third inning.

With an 8-4 lead, Fowler held ASU scoreless for four innings. Despite her walks, Fowler was able to earn her first career Pac-10 win, allowing six runs on five hits en route to her 19th win of the season.

“[Fowler] gives up three hits a game, and we got five and hit a few pretty hard,” Myers said. “We’ve got to do a little better job.”

The Wildcats pushed even further ahead in a three-run fifth inning that saw UA junior left fielder Brittany Lastrapes double in two runs and chase Bach from the game.

Bach (15-2) took the loss in 4.2 innings, allowing 11 runs (eight earned) on 11 hits and four walks. Senior Megan Elliott came in to finish the game and allowed one run while striking out three.

“I didn’t execute as well as I could,” Bach said. “I’ve pitched better than that, and I expect to pitch better than that.”

Fowler baffled the ASU offense for most of the game, but just three outs away from an early ending by run rule in the sixth inning, sophomore shortstop Katelyn Boyd sent a two-run home run over the right field wall to extend the game. It wasn’t enough, though, and Fowler finished out a complete-game effort with a perfect seventh inning.

“We know they’re a great team, and we won’t take that away from them,” Bach said.

Lastrapes finished the game 3-for-5 with three RBI and junior catcher Stacie Chambers went 3-for-4 with one RBI.

Reach the reporter at tyler.lockman@asu.edu

×