Waking up knowing that nothing one says or publishes can warrant a threat of gruesome death is just one of the many great things the United States has to offer.

It’s also a great thing to be able to criticize, discuss, mock or any utilize most other forms of personal expression regarding matters of politics or religion without fear of public execution.

So when Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the writers of “South Park,” received a “warning” from an extremist Muslim group based in New York, it was disturbing to hear what exactly was said.

According to The First Post, the radical website RevolutionMuslim.com contained a post warning that Parker and Stone would likely end up like Theo Van Gogh, the man who was murdered for producing a film critical of Islam’s treatment of women.

Granted, “South Park” isn’t the greatest show ever made, but what could possibly drive anyone to threaten to murder its creators?

Dressing up the Prophet Mohammed in a bear suit, that’s what.

For some reason, this particular religious icon gets special treatment. The show has ridiculed nearly every faith tradition and probably offended as many as it’s amused. Regardless, nothing on “South Park” warrants threatening to kill the show’s creators — not even the crudest of depictions of religious figures.

What an effective tool death threats are, though. According to Examiner.com, Comedy Central replaced the prophet’s image with a large bear and bleeped out his name.

Parker and Stone asserted that the censoring of the episode had nothing to do with them. They stood behind their work.

And that leads to an important point.

I believe that it is a correct generalization of Americans that we value freedom of expression, but also understand that there are repercussions for the things we choose to express.

Parker and Stone were interviewed prior to the airing of the episode and ironically were asked whether they were concerned about Muslim extremists, according to The First Post.

Their response was one of a particular kind of bravery.

They said that it would be hypocritical of them to only criticize those who they knew wouldn’t hurt them.

To understand that one’s actions may have consequences is something we all should have learned as children. Embracing the repercussions of an action that may make someone uncomfortable takes that lesson a step further, and has helped each of us grow.

But recognizing the value of equal opportunity free speech in this country and standing behind their actions and beliefs, even in the face of death threats, really sets these two men apart.

We should value people like Parker and Stone. Not because they’re funny or famous, but because they understand the value of free speech and do not find standing down to those who make death threats in response to cartoons acceptable.

Reach Becky at rrubens1@asu.edu

×