At the beginning of the year, the Supreme Court handed down perhaps the most troubling ruling in quite sometime. On January 21, the Court overturned a ban on campaign spending by corporations in candidate elections in the case Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission.

It was a dark day for democracy and a gift to corrupt corporations. Corporations can now spend freely in support or opposition of candidates. Corporate America will lavishly finance campaigns and the individual voice — which once made this country’s politics so unique — will now be but a murmur amid big money.

We must limit the effects of this ruling. Thankfully, Sen. Charles Schumer, D-N.Y., Rep. Chris Van Hollen, D-Md., and Rep. Mike Castle, R-Del., are backing legislation to do just that.

The bill, known as The DISCLOSE Act, would require corporations to disclose their electoral contributions and make CEOs stand by their campaign advertisements.

The act would allow citizens to see the candidates that are supported by big banks and insurance companies, or put more plainly, where candidates’ financial interests lie.

CEOs would be required to vocally approve their campaign commercials, just like candidates are required to do. If company executives were required to do this, hopefully they would think twice before running an ad that is negative or filled with false or slanted information. Though politicians have been known to run smear campaigns, businesses hope to remain open long after the politicians they support leave office.

Other important provisions in this legislation include limiting foreign influences as well as ensuring government contractors do not spend taxpayer money on campaigns. These two are perhaps the most important.

Entities based overseas should not have a say in American politics. This country’s political operations were created by the people and for the people, not by foreign corporations and for foreign corporations. It is imperative this government be responsive to its constituents and not undue outside influences.

It should go without saying that taxpayer money should not finance campaigns. Many Americans are already skeptical about the federal government taking their money. Do we need the general population to have one more reason to believe elected officials are abusing taxpayer money?

This decision to lift a ban on corporate campaign spending reeks of right-wing judicial activism. The DISCLOSE Act would put important restrictions in place that would still give individuals a chance at having their concerns heard and addressed by the government.

Legislation that favors lobbyists would become even worse if these issues are not addressed, putting the general public at economic odds with the special interests.

Isn’t that the American dream after all, making sure we all have an equal chance? Failure to pass this bill will result in the domination of big money and foreign corporations and the death of the American dream.

Andrew plans on attending the funeral of the American dream. If you care to join him, he can receive carpool requests at andrew.hedlund@asu.edu?

×