Downtown campus honors service of ASU students, faculty and groups

DISTINGUISHED DEVIL: Junior interdisciplinary studies major Natasia Cara Bongcas hugs the woman who nominated her, Lorrie Miller, as she accepts her award for Outstanding Student Employee at the Distinguished Devils Awards Ceremony on Wednesday. (Photo by Molly Smith)

The Downtown campus’ annual Distinguished Devil Awards were presented Wednesday, honoring students, faculty and organizations that have made an impact at ASU.

The Recognition Committee and the Division of Student Affairs highlighted achievements from the 2009-2010 school year, including achievements in academia, leadership and community involvement.

The individual Spark of All Trades, the first award presented, was awarded to journalism freshman Jessica Abercrombie, for her all-around positive contributions to the community and the University.

“The things I do as an ASU student and as an individual I do because I love to do so,” Abercrombie said. “I am truly proud to be a student who represents and truly embodies everything Arizona State University has to offer at the Downtown Campus.”

The Downtown campus’ Intramural Sports Management Team received the group Spark of All Trades award for its efforts in getting students involved in intramural sports.

A new award this year was the outstanding faculty or staff member. The award went to Jill Johnson, a program coordinator for Barrett, the Honors College on the Downtown campus.

The 4.1.1. Effect, a business expo and fashion show in Phoenix on April 6, won the Trailblazer Award for its new initiative on the Downtown campus in bringing together the community, businesses and all ASU campuses.

Young Life was named the Outstanding New Student Organization. On the Downtown and West campuses, Young Life is in its first year. Young Life is a nationwide non-denominational Christian organization that meets for social activities, Bible studies and prayer groups. In addition to meetings and activities, Young Life participated in a community service project over spring break, and the Urban Plunge, where students helped local elementary schools.

“It means a great deal that our newly established Young Life club is being recognized for our work to help the school, the students and the community,” said journalism freshman Tabitha Peterson, the member who accepted the award. “We can’t wait to see what next year has in store for us.”

After being nominated by peers, group advisers and ASU faculty, the Recognition Committee selected the winner of each category based off the information given on the nomination form.

Rebecca Kleinberg, the Cronkite School’s program coordinator and a member of this committee, said it’s a good example that Downtown students are more than just students.

“They’re well-rounded people. This showcases all they’re doing to help ASU and the community. So many students’ efforts go unnoticed and we want to give them an opportunity to be recognized,’’ she said.

Other group awards went to the Downtown Programming and Activities Board for Outstanding Student Organizatioon and the Tunnel of Oppression for the Social Consciousness Award.

Eichelle Armstrong won the Campus Team Environment Award for promoting diversity and respect.

The other individual awards included: Olga Lykhvar, Academic Champion; Stephanie Robertson, Individual Achievement in Service; Natasia Bongcas, Outstanding Student Employee; and Victoria Bain, Outstanding Student Leader.

Reach the reporter at jncrane@asu.edu

×