Downtown students bring change with pennies in charity game

NOT ONLY FOR YOUR THOUGHT: Heather Jackson, a sophomore broadcast journalism major, donates money to the Penny War put on by the University Student Initiatives: Student Engagement to raise money for a local non-profit organization. (Photo by Molly Smith)

Student organizations are battling each other in a Penny War for Change on the Downtown campus to raise money for St. Mary’s Food Bank.

The groups at the Downtown campus are helping raise money for the Food Fight, a competition to bring in food and monetary donations.

“It was set up because it’s part of a larger competition between UA and ASU,” said Jennifer Kitson, program coordinator of Barrett, the Honors College Downtown.

The Food Fight, sponsored by State Farm as part of its Territorial Cup Series involving all sports at ASU and UA, challenges the universities to raise the money and food for their local food banks. The competition ends April 18.

“It’s been going on all year and this is a final event,” said Caroline Porter, a journalism sophomore.

Coin jars can be found during lunch hours on Taylor Mall at tables set up by the Barrett Leadership and Service Team Downtown (BLAST’D).

Steven Nieto, a criminal justice senior, helped with the effort.

“There’s plenty of people that can’t afford to provide for their families,” Nieto said. “It’s important that us as fellow human beings help those that can’t help themselves.”

The Penny War for Change is a competition to aid in the larger Food Fight, with the money raised adding to ASU’s overall total.

Pennies are positive points, while silver coins and dollar bills are negative points. Students put pennies into their own team’s container and any other contributions to the others, to subtract from their totals.

The Cronkite school, Barrett, the Honors College, College of Public Programs, College of Nursing and Health Innovation and University College at the Downtown campus have formed teams and are competing against each other.

“It spices it up a little bit,” said RC Brown, a journalism freshman who donated to Cronkite’s team. “It goes to a very good cause. I’m proud to be a part of it. Every little penny counts.”

Students can donate in the department’s office or at tables on Taylor Mall from 12 until 2 p.m. until Friday.

Reach the reporter at jncrane@asu.edu.

×