Golf teams seeking redemption in weekend tournaments

For both of the ASU golf teams, the word “redemption” will be in play when the squads tee off for their respective tournaments this weekend.

But for each, the word carries different weight.

For the men, coming off what the golfers deemed an “embarrassing” showing at the Thunderbird Invitational on their home course last weekend, “redemption” is sought to bring back confidence heading into postseason play.

Coach Randy Lein said the team held a meeting following last weekend's event, which saw the Sun Devils finish in a tie for eighth a year after winning the tournament, and he is hopeful the interaction will steer momentum in a positive direction when ASU begins play in the U.S. Intercollegiate in Palo Alto, Calif., on Sunday, which will be hosted by Stanford.

“As talented as our group is, we didn't have anyone finish in the top 20, which is very unusual,” Lein said of the Thunderbird Invitational. “I don't have an explanation for that, although I know the guys were very embarrassed and upset with their performance. It will be interesting to see how they rebound this next Sunday, Monday, Tuesday up at Stanford.”

The finish at Thunderbird has meant an added intensity in practice this week as players have been forced to earn their spots in the lineup for the Stanford tournament.

One player who has earned a position in the lineup for the first time this season is Spencer Fletcher. The sophomore used seven birdies with no bogeys to card a career-low 64 in the final round of the Thunderbird event, earning him a tie for 16th overall.

Though Fletcher's score didn't count toward the team total, because he was playing as an individual, he did score the attention of Lein.

“He did what a coach wants a player to do,” Lein said, “and that's shoot so low that he demands your attention. … He made it look pretty easy.”

Fletcher has a familiarity with the Stanford course, growing up just 20 minutes away in the town of Los Altos.

While the men are trying to get back on track, the ASU women are just glad to be back on the course.

The No. 1 Sun Devil women haven't played in a tournament since finishing second at the Bruin Wave Invitational in Santa Clarita, Calif., on March 3, and they are anxious to start play in the tournament they are hosting beginning Friday, the PING/ASU Invitational at Karsten Golf Course.

“The break has been really good,” ASU coach Melissa Luellen said. “But I will say the comments this week from the players have been, and from me and [assistant coach] Missy [Farr-Kaye] both have been, 'Let's tee go tee it off, we're ready for a tournament! We're tired of practicing.'”

The Sun Devils have won their home tournament 17 times, but they are seeking redemption of their own after finishing second behind Oklahoma State last season.

ASU led most the way, but on the final day, then-sophomore Jaclyn Sweeney was hospitalized with illness, leaving the team short-handed.

“Rested and healthy,” Luellen said the team is very eager to tee off at Karsten for a tournament they consider to be the beginning of the postseason.

“Winning our home tournament is huge,” the coach said. “We consider this the kick off to the postseason. … You come down the last three holes and everything is on the line — it's good for our players to feel and experience.”

The course is in “awesome shape” for the tournament, Luellen said.

“It may not be Augusta National,” Luellen said referring the site of the ongoing PGA Masters tournament, “but it is Karsten National.”

The lineup for the Sun Devils: Sophomores Carlota Ciganda and Giulia Molinaro, freshman Jennifer Johnson, junior Sweeney and senior Juliana Murcia.

The PING/ASU Invitational is free to the public and tees off with a shotgun start at 8 a.m. Friday.

Reach the reporter at nkosmide@asu.edu

×