Men's sprinters step up at Sun Angel

(Photo by Scott Stuk)
(Photo by Scott Stuk)

With the Pac-10 Championships just over a month away, the ASU men’s sprinters knew they had to step up and produce.

They shone in a big way Saturday night at the 31st Sun Angel Track Classic, as both men’s relay teams were victorious and other impressive marks were posted by the sprinters.

To start, the men’s 4x100 meter relay team of sophomore Allante Battle, junior Michael Stokes and seniors Lawrence Trice and Ray Miller took first place in a season-best 36.60 seconds. Miller, the team’s anchor leg, said the team was clicking on all cylinders in the race.

“It felt excellent — everyone did their part and I held it down,” Miller said. “We knew we had to lay down a mark and set the tone.”

ASU coach Greg Kraft was more direct with his assessment of the race.

“They needed it,” Kraft said, noting the excitement and smiling faces on the athletes after the race.

The men’s 4x400 meter relay also made a statement in the meet’s final race, outdueling Oklahoma to win the race in a time of 3:05.94, also a season-best. That squad was made up of seniors Justin Kremer, Donald Sanford, Joel Phillip and Miller.

The senior trio also showcased their talent in the men’s premiere 400-meter dash as they all ran under 47 seconds. Sanford, who took second behind all-world Jamaican Lancford Davis, recorded a personal best of 45.72 seconds and almost caught Davis down the stretch.

“The race felt good and I executed it well,” Sanford said. “I tried to close late but I’m happy with my time.”

Sanford said the benefits of training with fellow All-Americans Kremer and Phillip are paying big dividends.

“We’ve been training hard and we’re glad to see the hard work is paying off,” he said.

To no one’s surprise, ASU senior thrower Ryan Whiting performed spectacularly in the shot put. Whiting took first with a heave of 21.71 meters (71-02.75 feet) and also set the meet and venue record in the process. Whiting said he was aiming to accomplish those exact feats, which had stood for 28 years.

“I realized it was my last home meet, so I wanted both of those records,” said Whiting, who also increased his world-leading shot put mark with his throw.

ASU senior thrower Jason Lewis continued his excellent season in the hammer with a first-place showing Friday, winning with a throw of 67.07 meters (220-00 feet).

ASU senior distance runner Brandon Bethke also posted a strong showing the men’s premiere 3,000-meter race, finishing first with a time of 3:43.77.

For the Sun Devil women, freshman standout Christabel Nettey won the women’s premiere long jump with a mark of 6.28 meters (20-07.25 feet).

In a meet that was filled with music, fireworks and high school competition earlier in the weekend, Kraft noted how important it was for the Sun Devils to give back to the community that supports them.

“We have to give back to the sport and the community,” he said. “We want to be the centerpiece of track and field for our state.”

The Sun Devils will be on the road next weekend, as they compete in the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, Calif.

Reach the reporter at eric.l.smith@asu.edu

×