Are secular practices diluting the meaning of holidays?

One Friday a man died after being hung on a cross. His body was wrapped in white linen and put into a tomb sealed by an enormous rock. Three days later the man rose from the dead. Today, his resurrection is commemorated during one Sunday each spring.

If you observed the way Easter is commonly celebrated today, you’d think I was talking about an entirely different holiday. The resurrection of Jesus Christ has been replaced with long-eared bunnies, pastel-colored eggs and treasure-promising egg hunts. Truthfully, most secular practices during religious holidays have drowned out the true significance of these days.

Need evidence? In December, do you see more television programs advertising baby Jesus or St. Nick? Do you hear more about a baby born in a manger or Rudolph the red-nosed reindeer? What about when the lilies bloom? What are the majority of items on the local supermarket’s shelf? Replica crucifixes or chocolates in the shape of rabbits?

The world is constantly taking the religion out of religious holidays. A jolly white-bearded man slipping down chimneys to leave gifts under a tree has nothing to do with the day set to recognize Jesus’ birthday. Did the Easter bunny rise from the dead after three days or did Jesus? Why are the real meanings of certain holidays often sidelined while imaginary characters get to play the field?

Separation of church and state, that’s why. Some Americans don’t want any type of religion intertwined with other affairs. No 10 commandments monument in the Alabama State building. No creationism taught in science classes. Even some, like atheist Michael Newdow, have fought against the pledge of allegiance stating “One nation under God.”

Oh yes, some Americans advocate for the separation of church and state. When it isn’t convenient for them, that is. Most employers give their employees Christmas Day off, but do these people refuse to leave their jobs? After all, it is a religious holiday that these corporations are honoring. What about stores? Do non-religious people let the “Easter Weekend Special” or “After Christmas Sales” pass them by? Where are all the “no’s” then?

Bluntly put, society wants to have its cake and eat it too. People would rather create false ideas and concepts than recognize the deserving person or thing when it comes to a religious holiday. Yet if that same holiday proves beneficial in any way for them, then it’s okay to celebrate it as long as it’s done their way. As long as I have my own way of celebrating a certain day, everything is fine.

This is untrue. Secular practices do nothing but disrespect religious holidays. They say that the actual significance of the day isn’t important. They say their way is better. More importantly, because completely opposite traditions are imposed, secular practices say the original wasn’t good enough; therefore, different customs had to be made. If something isn’t broken, don’t fix it, right? Each holiday has its own specific origin and purpose for celebration. None of them need any additives or any help to be able to fulfill the role for why they are observed.

Reach Shala at smmarks3@asu.edu

×