Student’s research finds fewer students making risky decisions

SAVING MONEY: A student’s honor's thesis shows that students are less likely to make risky decisions that affect their futures and are more concerned with financial stability than before. (Photo by Michael Arellano)

A psychology student’s research has revealed that students, regardless of gender, were less likely to make risky decisions if they affected the students’ futures and were instead more concerned with securing financial stability.Psychology senior Joanna Rzucidlo completed her honors thesis through Barrett, the Honors College, by conducting a study under the supervision of psychology professor Douglas Kenrick.

Considering an evolutionary perspective, Rzucidlo said she was curious about how dating motives and decision-making are swayed by financial and social demands, and how gender plays a role in this.

Prior to experimentation, Rzucidlo said she anticipated males becoming more risky and women becoming safer in decision-making when romantically involved.

The study, which was conducted on an introductory ASU psychology course, found that regardless of gender, students were most influenced by whether or not they received hypothetical or real money, said Rzucidlo.

In this regard, Gabriella Poetzl, a business communications freshman, said her dating motives and collegiate aspirations have been influenced by the economy, but more notably by her own financial situation.

“The economy is going to influence the decisions that I make. I don’t want to waste my money on things that are not beneficial or necessary at the moment,” Poetzl said.

The same applies to her relationship with her boyfriend, she said.

“We know we are just college students, so we don’t spend a lot of money on outrageous gifts and we try to use our money in the right ways,” she said.

Skyler Bean, an English literature sophomore, said he believes being a college student proves more influential in dating motives.

“The economy is not too much of an influential factor on the choice of who I date, but rather the decisions I make when in a relationship,” Bean said.

It is important to plan early and to stay on top of opportunities that are available, he said.

Poetzl said she currently holds a lifeguard position for the summer season and receives good pay. However, she is looking for a change and is considering finding another job for the summer.

“In this economy, it’s hard to venture out to try to find jobs. I’d rather be safe and stay where I am,” she said.

Bean said the most difficult issue of remaining self-sufficient in college is coordinating a schedule that fits many needs.

“Trying to figure out work can be difficult because there may be a time when I have to work, but have to be in class at the same time,” he said. “College in general influences the way people make decisions, especially regarding scheduling and taking the classes that will most help them in their future.”

According to the study, it seems mutually accepted that the goal is to achieve security and efficiency regardless of gender, Rzucidlo said.

“It doesn’t matter what gender you are. In this economy, it is about thinking long-term and scrutinizing when money needs to be saved,” Poetzl said. “I want to be able to live comfortably on my own with a little more confidence.”

Reach the reporter at asjohn10@asu.edu

×