Tennis nabs rivalry win to close out regular season

FINISHING STRONG: ASU junior Micaela Hein delivers a backhanded shot during the Sun Devils' 6-1 win over Fresno State in February. ASU closed out the regular season with a 5-2 win over UA in Tucson on Saturday. (Photo by Micahel Arellano)

TUCSON — The ASU women’s tennis team was able to earn a victory in Tucson by keeping its composure amidst a rowdy UA crowd.

Strong doubles play set the tone for the dual, and the No. 27 Sun Devils (13-5, 5-3 Pac-10) won the first three singles matches to clinch the victory, 5-2.

“You know it’s going to be a hostile crowd, and I thought our kids handled it really well,” ASU coach Sheila McInerney said. “I was really proud of the way we competed.”

ASU junior Ashlee Brown and sophomore Sianna Simmons blanked UA’s senior Natalia Toporowska and sophomore Debora Castany 8-0 to lead doubles sweep over the Wildcats (12-9, 1-7 Pac-10).

No. 76 ASU junior Micaela Hein had the toughest assignment on the day, playing No. 107 UA sophomore Natasha Marks and playing on court one in front of a large Arizona crowd.

She won the first set 6-3, but Marks rallied to win the second set 6-3 and force a tiebreaker.

The tiebreaker had several calls that angered the crowd, but Hein was able to pull off the victory and finish the dual.

“The crowd was pretty much on her the whole time,” McInerney said.

Other wins came from courts two, four and six for the Sun Devils.

No. 70 ASU junior Kelcy McKenna defeated No. 124 sophomore Sarah Landsman (6-2, 6-4), ASU sophomore Michelle Brycki defeated Castany (6-2, 6-2) and Simmons defeated UA junior Jane Huh (6-2, 6-2).

For Brycki, the victory gave her an undefeated regular season dual record at 14-0.

“I didn’t even realize it earlier in the season until someone had said something, and then I kind of started putting some more pressure on myself, because I wanted to keep up my record,” Brycki said. “It feels good, but we’re not done yet.”

Senior Nadia Abdala, who is playing with a sore shoulder and only played singles, and freshman Hannah James were the only losses on the day for ASU.

The Sun Devils were able to maintain their dominance over UA, whom they haven’t lost to since 2004.

“To come down to Tucson is never going to be easy,” McInerney said. “I’m really happy for the kids. Good way to end the regular season.”

Reach the reporter at nathan.meacham@asu.edu

×