Track produces strong marks at Mt. SAC Relays

The ASU men’s and women’s track team competed at the Mt. SAC Relays over the weekend in a meet that featured a wide array of talents and an enormous field.

Thousands of athletes competed in the meet, which included high school, collegiate and professional competitors, making for a taxing and tiring weekend for ASU.

“The kids did a good job of keeping their composure and focus,” ASU coach Greg Kraft said. “You have to be flexible when the meet challenges your race preparation.”

Overall, the Sun Devils shined all over, as they produced many solid performances in Walnut, Calif.

ASU senior distance runner Brandon Bethke finished fourth overall in the men’s invitational 5,000-meter race on Friday with a time of 13:27.83. Bethke, whose time is the second-fastest in the NCAA this season, was the top collegiate finisher.

Kraft called Bethke’s race “very impressive” but also heaped praise on another Sun Devil distance runner. Junior Zeke Van Patten finished fourth in his 5,000 meter-race in 14:00.21, but closed the race with a strong finishing kick.

“He has demonstrated a tremendous ability to finish races,” Kraft said. “It is important for us to see that performance from some new faces.”

ASU junior sprinter Dominique’ Maloy also had a solid weekend, as she placed first in the women’s open 100-meter dash on Friday. Maloy, who has been recovering from an injury the past few months, then came back with a strong opening leg of the women’s 4x100 relay on Saturday.

“[The win] gives her a little confidence after being hurt,” Kraft said. “She also did a nice job of leading off the relay, which is something we needed to see.”

ASU freshman thrower Jordan Clarke was also victorious on Friday in the men’s open discus with a mark of 55.19 meters (181-01 feet).

Having spent much of the season in the shadow of Ryan Whiting and Jason Lewis, Kraft said it was significant that Clarke won the event.

“There’s no question he’s talented enough,” Kraft said. “It was really big for Jordan and for our team.”

The ASU men’s relays performed well on Saturday, as both finished second in their race. The 4x100 relay squad, which was the fastest collegiate team in the meet, ran a 39.90. The 4x400 relay team produced a season-best time of 3:03.78 but was edged out by .08 seconds to USC.

Reach the reporter at eric.l.smith@asu.edu

×