Track set for first outdoor season away meet

KEEPING PACE: ASU senior distance runner Chelsea Caloia runs the steeplechase during the Sun Angel Track Classic last weekend. The Sun Devils will hit the road for the first time this outdoor season for the Mt. Sac Relays. (Photo by Scott Stuk)

It’s time to take this show on the road.

The ASU men’s and women’s track amd field teams will compete in their first away meet of the outdoor season this weekend at the Mt. SAC Relays in Walnut, Calif.

The Sun Devils have hosted three meets at Sun Angel Stadium so far this season, yet they are looking forward to leaving the comforts of home behind.

ASU Greg Kraft even said that his team needs to get out of Tempe and run on another track for once.

“We haven’t traveled at all, and this will be our only trip outside of the Pac-10 meet,” Kraft said. “I think that not only the athletes, but the coaches as well, need to see how you manage your comfort level away from your home track.”

ASU senior sprinter Donald Sanford said he believes the track or venue doesn’t matter — athletes are expected to execute regardless.

“Not every single meet is going to be at home,” Sanford said. “We have to approach our races, execute and be prepared for what we have to do.”

ASU senior sprinter Joel Phillip said that a strong focus and mental attitude are essential for the sport. In some cases, he said, an athlete has to will themselves to perform up to expectations and get a victory.

“Even if you are at home, you are never in a comfort zone,” Phillip said. “We’re always on edge and looking for an opportunity to give our best.”

A positive sign for the No. 9 Sun Devil men as they head away is the fact that they are starting to get healthy at the right time in the season. As they gear up for the stretch run, the athletes have a Pac-10 title and national championship on their minds.

Both Sanford and Phillip have recovered from issues that prevented from running at the ASU Invitational in late March. Kraft said that throwers Jason Lewis (senior) and Jordan Clarke (freshman) have overcome minor hand injuries as well.

“Obviously, we have more depth on the men’s side,” Kraft said. “But we still can’t afford to lose anyone.”

Sanford said that while all athletes deal with small and nagging injuries most of the season, he and his teammates are feeling pretty fresh.

“No one is at 100 percent, but we’re as healthy as you can be at this point in the season,” he said.

Reach the reporter eric.l.smith@asu.edu

×