One of the most contentious energy issues is offshore drilling. In 2008, Sen. John McCain’s presidential campaign motto, “Drill, baby, drill!” captured the hopes of many drilling proponents and oil industry tycoons.

Now, “drill, baby, drill” is now no longer only associated with McCain. Ironically, it is his previous presidential rival, Barack Obama, who has proposed to open American shores for drilling.

During his State of the Union address, Obama alluded to the possibility of drilling. Now, in an attempt to court Republicans for the upcoming climate bill, he has made it official.

“There will be those who strongly disagree with this decision, including those who say we should not open any new areas to drilling. But what I want to emphasize is that this announcement is part of a broader strategy that will move us from an economy that runs on fossil fuels and foreign oil to one that relies more on homegrown fuels and clean energy,“ Obama said in a recent announcement.

The proposal would end a moratorium on oil drilling from Delaware to Florida and parts of Alaska while allowing for exploration in the Gulf of Mexico. However, despite expansion in Alaska, there will be protections in place for the environmentally sensitive Bristol Bay. The West Coast would still be off limits.

According to CNN, the United States has less than 3 percent of the world’s oil reserves. We consumed 19.5 million barrels of oil a day in 2008, which is about 23 percent of the world’s consumption, according to the U.S. Energy Information Association Independent Statistics and Analysis. Proponents of offshore drilling say it will decrease our dependence on foreign oil and create jobs. Though this may be true, the majority of our fossil fuels will still be imported until we begin to reduce our consumption.

Offshore drilling, while the lesser of the two evils, should not be looked at as a long-term nor sustainable energy approach.

While it is imperative that we begin to ease our dependence on foreign oil, we also need to look for alternatives to ease our dependence on oil period.

Obama’s maneuver appears to be politically motivated at best.

NPR reports that a comprehensive energy and climate bill is the next major piece of legislation on the horizon for the administration and by allowing exploration for offshore drilling, Obama is trying to reel in Republican support.

However, after the recent health care burn, Republicans have vowed to not compromise on any forthcoming legislation.

It is rather depressing the future of our planet, as we know it, hinges off the balance of petty politics.

While we must look for a realistic approach to lessen our reliance on the whims of foreign oil, we must also make sure that whatever changes we make in our offshore drilling policy do not undermine the most pressing issue at hand — clean alternative energy. We need to start focusing on solutions, not just temporary pocket liners.

Reach Alana at alana.arbuthnot@asu.edu

×