Withdrawals dash women's golf team's Pac-10 hopes

Sophomore Giulia Molinaro and freshman Jennifer Johnson of the ASU women's golf team were forced to withdraw from the Pac-10 Championships in Eugene, Ore., on Tuesday due to illness, derailing the Sun Devils' hopes for a second consecutive conference title.

Without the pair's scores, ASU does not have enough eligible golfers to compete for a team title. The remaining three golfers — senior Juliana Murcia, junior Jaclyn Sweeney and sophomore Carlota Ciganda — will finish the tournament, which concludes Wednesday, as individuals.

ASU coach Melissa Luellen said in a text message Tuesday that she is not yet sure what caused the two golfers to become sick.

The Sun Devils were in first place following Monday's first round, one stroke ahead of USC. Midway through the second round Tuesday, Murcia was in first place at 3-under par with Ciganda one shot back in second place. Sweeney was tied for 10th place at 3-over.

Johnson was tied for ninth following the first round with the Sun Devils likely to have been in the championship hunt throughout the tournament.

“[It's] very unfortunate,” Luellen said.

×