21-year-old ASU student dragged by vehicle dies

ASU Communications major Kyleigh Sousa passed away early Thursday morning. (Photo courtesy of ASU Police Department)

An ASU student dragged by a vehicle during an attempted robbery early Wednesday died last night at around 9:30 p.m., according to a Tempe Police Department spokesperson.

Tempe police officers responded to a call at 1:50 a.m. Wednesday that a female had been run over near the intersection of Apache Boulevard and College Avenue, according to Tempe Police Department press release.

An investigation revealed that a man grabbed the purse of 21-year-old Kyleigh Ann Sousa and attempted to drive away in a silver Chrysler 300.  Sousa held onto the purse and was dragged by the vehicle, according the release.

She was transported to a hospital and was said to be in critical condition.

Sgt. Steven Carbajal said in an e-mail that police are still seeking information from the public about the incident.

Police are asking anyone with information to contact the Tempe Police Department at 480-350-8311 or Silent Witness 480-WITNESS (480-948-6377).

×