Important stories in State Press history

Read the story about the history of The State Press: ASU campus newspapers commemorates 120 years

The Normal Echo announces itself

November 8, 1890 — third issue of the paper

Contrary to the usual practice of newspapers, The Normal Echo did not in its first issue announce in startling headline and exclamation points the principles for which it proposed to stand; it seemed to be like Artemus Ward, the proud possessor of no principles whatsoever. But if a reader drew such a hasty conclusion, he was in error, for the present editors, being opposed to the Artemus Ward politician type, propose to explain the policy and aims of their publication.

The Normal Echo aims to give a weekly digest of all affairs connected with the Normal School, to the end that friends of the institution, the relatives of students, and the general public may make us a short visit without movie from their offices or sitting room. Another consideration of even more importance to us, as students, is found in the practical training in accuracy, thought and readiness of knowledge which newspaper work is so eminently fitted to produce. In order to attain this object as completely as possibly the editors are changed weekly, giving place to other elected by the students.

Items chosen from various newspapers for their general bearing on educational matters will appear at intervals for the benefit of the students, and in addition it is proposed to keep track of school work through the territory as thoroughly as may be done with the facilities at command.

Our items of home news being necessarily variable in number, if The Echo should at any time decrease in size (or rather, loudness) its listeners will understand the cause and keep an attentive ear for the next issue.

Ex-president Roosevelt addresses united student bodies of Tempe School

March 22, 1911

On Monday morning, March 20, the most noted private American citizen of the day, Ex-President Roosevelt stood for the space of some thirteen minutes on the north steps of the Normal School building and addressed the united student bodies of the Tempe City Schools and the citizens of Tempe.

When Mr. Roosevelt first promised to grace the Normal campus with his presence he said that he would speak for two or three minutes only and that from his automobile.

Knowing that this would be unsatisfactory, the committee in charge made arrangements to have the program carried out as it was. Through the kindness and cooperation of Governor Sloan, Dr. Wilbur and Prof. Evans, of the Evans School, Mr. Roosevelt agreed to change his plans and to speak to us from the Normal steps.

We certainly appreciate the kind interest of those men who were instrumental in bringing this great pleasure to pass. “I think on this occasion, I ought to reverse the usual order and said ‘children, women and men.’ It’s a rare pleasure to be here and I wish to congratulate the Territory of Arizona upon the far-sighted wisdom and generosity which was shown in building this institution.

It is a pleasure to see such buildings and it is an omen of good augury for the future of the state to realize that a premium is being put upon the best type of educational work. Moreover, I have a special feeling for this institution, for seven of the men of my regiment came from it. Seven has studied here, and there were others contributed by the town itself that had not been students at the Normal School.

“It is of the utmost consequence in any community, but especially so in a community that has just ceased being a frontier community, to provide the best educational facilities for the next generation. But the very fact that this work was done with such tremendous difficulty under circumstances so unpromising, makes it vital that the children grasp every change and so it is peculiarly necessary in a Territory like Arizona (I want to say state and I will say it in a short time. Applause. If I had had my way, you have been a state a long time ago. Applause) It is peculiarly necessary to give the same change for obtaining the best education to its sons and daughters that can obtained in any older community.

“To you, father and mothers, and the older ones among the boys and girls, I want to say remember that education has two sides. There is first of all the vocational, the education that trains the boy and girl for the actual work of their lives. And men and women, I hope that in this country that very big part of education should be the industrial training — training towards and not away from the shop and the farm. Train the young lady so that after she has gone through school, she will be better fitted, not worse fitted, for the home. I want to say, the boy should be fitted by his training in the school, to be the better provider and the better worker: the girl, the better house-wife and home-maker. This is the vocational side of training. That is the side of most importance.

“The other side of education is to teach you to love learning for its own sake. So not look at acquisition of knowledge from the utilitarian side. I had a letter from three or four students in a certain institution east of the Mississippi, who asked if I could write and tell what was the use of reading, what was the use of literature? I wrote them that if they could ask a question it was impossible to teach the. If they should go through their institution and still ask if it pays to read good books, for Heaven’s sake get out of it.

“I want you to remember the relative importance, first of all of the educational training, the training that will make you better able to earn your own livelihood, to pull your own weight. I have no use for the type of philanthropist who will improve himself while his family subsists on charity. The husband should be the provider and the wife should do her share in keeping the family together.

“You, in Arizona, remember that every great people have contributed something to the world in the realm of art, science or literature for the sake of adding to the common achievement of mankind. I hope you will be trained so that you will do your work better, enjoy books more, and appreciate nature and the wonderful country of which are you are a part.

“One word, not as citizens of Tempe but as citizens of the Valley: I hold myself to be a pretty good westerner, but I did not realize what a wonderful country you had. It was the greatest three-day educational course for me imaginable to go up to the Roosevelt Dam. I had not realized there was a scenic drive of such marvelous beauty. I was surprised at the grandeur of the mountains and gorges and at the wonderful beauty of the flowers. I firmly believe that as soon as the East becomes better educated, this will be one of the places to which visitors will come from all parts of the country to make the dive I made in the last two days.

“Moreover, I believe as your irrigation projects are established, we will see 75 to 100 thousand people here. It is one of the most fertile regions of the country. You have that great material change ahead. You can throw it away if you have no the right kind of men and women. No matter how good a farm you can leave to your son, he can throw it away.

Now, in the same way, what is true of an individual is true of a community. That father is a poor father who leaves his son a good farm and has not taken the trouble to make the son the type of man who will keep it up. And so the community as a short sighted community that builds up material prosperity and does not try to train the next generation so that it can make the wisest use of the implements given into its hands. I congratulate you of Arizona that you seem to have this sense of responsibility to the next generation. You are furnishing the means for the boys and girls who are to be the men and women of the future, to be the right kind. And to you boys—I want to give you some special advice.

This applies to the boys, in particular. I want you to work and I want you to play, and when you work, do not play at all, and when you play, play hard. For you in your future life, I borrow a smile form the foot-ball field. Do not flinch, do not foul and hit the line hard. That is the way you should do in life. To teach men and women to act squarely and decently and do not be afraid to put the best effort you have into whatever you are trying to do.

By 2 to 1 margin Voters Endorse Proposition 200

November 5, 1958

Arizona’s voters Tuesday overwhelmingly approved Proposition 200 changing the name of Arizona State College to Arizona State University.

The issue was settled within three hours of the 7 p.m. closing of the polling places.

At midnight, incomplete tabulations showed: 200 yes…..101,811 200 no…..51,471.

Reports from both AP and UPI tabulation centers were agreed on the vote counts, although at 11 p.m. stories were circulated with widely varying totals, some differing as much as 50 to 70 thousand from the figures later verified.

At 10:10, Tom Wallace, Chairman of the Committee for College and University Education in Tucson, issued the following statement: “The people of the state have spoken very impressively, and I can only hope they will be proven right.” ASU President, Dr. Grady Gammage, followed immediately with a cautioning word.

About two hours later, however, Dr. Gammage made the announcement that set off a wild celebration on campus.

Leaders Pleased

November 5, 1958

After election returns indicated Proposition 200 would undoubtedly pass, The State Press asked for first reactions from several of Arizona State’s leading citizens.

“Our case was right, and the people have spoken on the matter. We appreciate their confidence and assure them Arizona State University will service them effective and in increasing numbers in the years ahead.

“We’re proud of out school, and we’re proud of the people of Arizona. We are deeply grateful to them.”

That was ASU President Grady Gammage’s response when asked for his first reaction to the success of Proposition 200.

Mrs. Gammage was standing close by, and had this to say: “This victory has been made possible by the dedicated effort of many people. We appreciate is and want the people to know that, in the years ahead, Arizona State University will merit the confidence expressed in this election.”

Dr. H. D. Richardson, academic vice president, expressed this view: “The people have spoken! We are grateful for their expression of confidence. We may now move forward to the fulfillment of the greater task of meeting the continuing need for university education to all in this great and growing state who are able to profit from it.”

Sun Devil victory 1st over Nebraska since 1975

Win fitting for day devoted to former ASU coach Kush

September 23, 1996

By Dustin Krugel

Maybe ASU should throw a big bash for Frank Kush every game at Sun Devil Stadium.

The Sun Devils upset of No. 1 Nebraska Saturday night appeared to rekindle the spirits of Kush’s old ASU teams from 1958-1979.

Kush, who is ASU’s all-time winningest coach with a 176-54-1 record (.764 winning percentage), was honored at halftime by having the playing surface at Sun Devil Stadium named “Frank Kush Field.”

Before the Sun Devil’s victory, Kush was the only ASU couch to beat the Huskers In 1975 Kush capped off a 11-0 regular season with a 17-14 win over Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl.

“This is huge, especially on this wonderful occasion, celebrating Frank Kush night,” ASU athletic director Kevin White said after the win.

Head-to-head The match-up of ASU left tackle Juan Roque and Nebraska defensive end Grant Wistrom ended on a downer Saturday with Wistrom leaving the game in the second quarter with a neck strain. The injury is not believed to be serious.

Before leaving the game, Wistrom was on a rampage garnering five tackles and sacking ASU quarterback Jake Plummer twice.

“He’s one of the better defensive ends I’ve faced, including (ex-U of A’s Teddy) Bruschi,” Roque said of Wistrom. “He came at me every single play. He didn’t care who I was or the publicity. I had to go out there with my head screwed on right and keep everyone off Jake (Plummer). The offensive line did a pretty good job of stopping them.”

The loss was the first of Wistom’s college career and his first since his junior season in high school.

Injury report ASU head coach Bruce Snyder said senior tight end Steve Bush (knee) and junior offensive guard Glen Gable (ankle) will likely miss 4-6 weeks wach after injuries suffered from the game.

Record breaker Not only was ASU’s three safeties a school-record, but the three surrendered by Nebraska was a record by an opponent. The previous record was one by several, most recently at Washington on Sept. 19,1992.

Try again Nebraska is still one victory short of 700 wins. The Huskers would join an elite group consisting of Michigan (758), Notre Dame (740), Texas (707) and Alabama (706).

Crow ‘happy’ to be at ASU

Tuesday, July 2, 2002

By Erin Hawksworth

Stepping into the post filled by President Lattie Coor for 12 years, new ASU president Michael Crow officially took office Monday.

“I am happy to be here — mostly excited,” Crow said.

Michael Crow, 46, ASU’s 16th president, said he is ready to take on the challenge of turning the university into a “world-class” institution.

“It feels good to be in a city that’s a fast-growing place,” said Crow. “ASU is the best university positioned to become great in the 21st century. I want to be a part of that.”

Crow said he will be doing a lot of listening during his first week to get a sense of the issues on campus. One of his objectives is to connect each program at ASU with the Phoenix community; another is for ASU to become better known on an international scale.

Before taking the helm at ASU, Crow was the executive vice provost of Columbia University in New York. He also served as vice provost of research and associate vice provost for science and engineering.

Crow holds a Ph.D. in public administration and was a professor of science policy and technology at Columbia, whose population is about 22,000 students — less than half the student population of ASU.

“Being president of one of the largest universities is daunting,” Crow said. “It is a big responsibility — I want it to be high quality.”

Crow said newly-appointed vice president for public affairs Virgil Renzulli, a co-worker from Columbia University, will help spread the word about ASU.

“Virgil is excellent,” Crow said. “He will find a way to inform people that ASU is much better than people know.” Crow said more administrative changes will be announced this week.

“I am concentrating on organizing my team,” he said.

Crow, a San Diego native, said he moved quite often as he was growing up because his father was in the Navy. He said he likes his new office, and he and his wife have found a house, but they are still waiting to move in.

×