ABC anchor Diane Sawyer chosen for 27th Cronkite Award

ENTER TV-GIBSONSAWYER 3 MCT
ABC News announced on September 2, 2009, that Diane Sawyer will become the new anchor of "World News" replacing a retiring Charlie Gibson. (Heidi Gutman/ABC/MCT)

Television journalist Diane Sawyer, anchor of ABC’s “World News with Diane Sawyer,” was chosen May 31 as the recipient of the 27th Walter Cronkite Award for Excellence in Journalism.

The Cronkite Endowment Board of Trustees, made up of Phoenix media leaders, chose her as the next winner of the award. Sawyer will receive the award at a luncheon on Nov. 12 at the Arizona Biltmore in Phoenix.

Christopher Callahan, dean of the Cronkite School, said Sawyer is one of the great broadcast journalists of our time.

“She’s a very prominent woman in a world where it has been historically difficult to rise to the top of the journalism ranks,” he said.

Sawyer started her journalism career in 1967 and has covered events ranging from the Sept. 11 attacks to the 2008 presidential inauguration. In January 1999, she became co-anchor of the ABC network show “Primetime,” and in December 2009 she was given the anchor position for “World News.”

Callahan called Sawyer to tell her she won the award.

“It’s very difficult to schedule Diane,” he said, adding that Sawyer had to juggle her schedule in order to come out and receive the award.

Past recipients met students at the Cronkite School, received the award at the luncheon and then gave a speech.

But Callahan said two Cronkite students would instead interview Sawyer.

“People will be enriched by her thoughts,” Callahan said.

Callahan said Sawyer is trying to arrange her schedule to meet with students, but nothing has been confirmed.

The award luncheon is one of the biggest events in Phoenix each year with leaders of media, business and politics in attendance.

Journalism senior Josh Frigerio said he attended two Cronkite award ceremonies.

“The experience is incredible,” Frigerio said. “It celebrates the best of our time while also bringing our future journalists together to pay tribute to such a vital industry.”

The first Cronkite award was given to CBS founder William Paley and CBS president Frank Stanton in 1984. Anyone can attend the Nov. 12 event.

The price for tables range from $1,500 to $10,000, and the money raised will go to the Cronkite School.

Reach the reporter at Tabitha.Peterson@asu.edu

×