In the upcoming fall and spring semesters, ASU will see new administrative changes in some schools, colleges and departments. According to University officials, creating new positions and hiring new administrators are part of improving ASU’s programs and quality of education.

School of Engineering

Paul Johnson, executive dean of the Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering, will become dean of the engineering schools in January 2011, as officials have decided to combine both the executive dean and dean positions.

Johnson has been the executive dean for four years.

“I know the school pretty well,” Johnson said. “I know where it’s going, and I kind of in some way have a good sense of what needs to be done.”

The vision of the engineering schools isn’t going to change drastically, he said. Major modifications were already made to the engineering program in May 2009, when a combination of nine departments and schools were disestablished, and five schools were formed.

“The students were unaffected [by the reorganization] from a degree program standpoint,” Johnson said. “We redesigned how we do advising in the school, and so the students should’ve noticed improved advising.”

For example, advisers now know how to advise for multiple degree programs.

However, there will be some alterations in the curriculum.

“They’ll see more engineering-like design experiences starting from when they walk in the door as freshmen,” Johnson said. “They’ll see more opportunities to take courses in different engineering disciplines rather than just in the one area that they’re majoring in.”

Also, there will be increased resources within the next year, like a computing center and design spaces for student projects.

“With the computing center that we’re putting in, we’ve worked with the students to get their input on the design,” Johnson said.

Deirdre Meldrum, the current dean, will be the new senior scientist at ASU.

“Her role is specifically focused on developing and pursuing a very large national lab-scale effort in a particular area,” Johnson said, which includes trying to house a large, unique national lab at ASU that would be funded by the federal government.

He said Meldrum has experiences in the academic area and in leading a large research program at the Biodesign Institute.

College of Technology and Innovation

Another new position being filled is the executive dean of the College of Technology and Innovation.

Mitzi Montoya, the assistant dean of research and Zelnak Professor of Marketing Innovation at North Carolina State University’s College of Management, will start her new duties at ASU on July 1.

She will also be the faculty athletics representative, which is an ASU athletics liaison with organizations such as the National Collegiate Athletic Association.

“It was, for me, a very exciting opportunity to participate in, my opinion, what’s a very innovative college,” Montoya said. “It has the combination of disciplines that are near and dear to my heart in science, engineering, technology and entrepreneurship.”

She said she is not sure if there will be any new changes to the innovation college when she arrives.

“I certainly expect us to continue growing and developing innovative programs,” Montoya said.

Coming from a business and engineering background will give new insight to the college, she said.

“I think that brings a different perspective, which will add new educational opportunities and I hope new student experiences in terms of extracurricular activities that we hope to develop as well,” Montoya said.

She said the college is trying to attract new students as well.

“I think we do that through innovative programs that are exciting and that students see the value of,” Montoya said.

Keith Hjelmstad, the University vice president and dean of the College of Technology and Innovation, said he hired Montoya because of her “outstanding background.”

“One of the things that we’re trying to do within the college is emerge new efforts in technology, entrepreneurship and innovation management, and that’s her specialty,” Hjelmstad said.

He said the college is going to improve operations and add some new opportunities, like the newly combined and refocused Technological Entrepreneurship and Innovation Management department.

“Our college has innovation in the name, and so we’re actually taking that seriously and taking it to the next level and looking to put some programs in place that actually teach people about innovation and entrepreneurship.”

Educational Outreach and Student Services

The new associate vice president of Educational Outreach and Student Services, and the CEO of University Public Schools Inc. will be Beatriz Rendón.

James Rund, the senior vice president for University Student Initiatives, said Rendón has relevant experience and can help with the success of the University Public Schools program, which is affiliated with ASU.

The program uses the help of ASU personnel to create an innovative education experience that will “increase student achievement in Arizona” in several K-12 public school sites, according to the Web site.

“It’s a part of building a pipeline up for capable students to have access to quality education from kindergarten straight through to their first year at the University,” Rund said.

Reach the reporter at reweaver@asu.edu

×