Emmy preview: best comedy show nominees

Looking back on some of the past year’s canceled comedies, it’s hard not to observe television as a wasteland of undistinguished filth.  Take “Hank” and “Brothers” as examples.

In the mix of humorless sitcoms though, the 2009-2010 television season also brought us plenty of inspired ones.

With the Emmy nominees being released in July, here is a list of the most deserving shows to make up the eligible Comedy Series slots. 

Community

“Community” was somewhat overshadowed this year by other freshmen shows, “Modern Family” and “Glee.”

Nevertheless, this comedy about a group of misfit college students achieved A-list comedy with witty writing, a winning acting ensemble and the most epic paintball tournament in the history of television.

It’s impossible to single out just one character as your favorite with Joel McHale’s cocky Jeff, Danny Pudi’s film-obsessed Abed, Alison Brie’s determined Annie and so many others.

Curb Your Enthusiasm

Last season on “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” Larry David sustained his string of morally reprehensible decisions, making Walter White from “Breaking Bad” and Don Draper from “Mad Men” look like saints.

In the show’s hilarious seventh season, Larry reunited the cast of “Seinfeld” in an attempt to win back his long-suffering ex-wife. This season conjured numerous hilarious scenarios based on distaste and coincidence.

Glee

Among all of this year’s comedies, none quite exemplified the perfect hour of television than Ryan Murphy’s “Glee,” a musical spectacle that you either loved or you’re heartless.

The experience of all 22 episodes of “Glee” is a joy and like watching a Broadway production from your couch. Never did I think a television show’s rendition of “Don’t Stop Believing” could be more magical than Journey’s original track. However, every song revamped in this program is a treasure. It also delivered the year’s finest character of any entertainment medium, Jane Lynch’s diabolical cheerleading coach Sue Sylvester.

Modern Family

I thought we’d seen the last of the great family comedies with the cancellation of “Arrested Development.” But ABC brought back the family sitcom this season with the wonderful “Modern Family.” The promos set it up to look like a show about three unconnected families.

In the pilot’s final act though, the families unexpectedly come together, revealing they are all related. This is one of the numerous brilliant twists in what is arguably the year’s best-written comedy.

The Office

Some cynics have argued that “The Office” never recaptured the brilliance of its second season. While nothing can quite contend with that season, I believe “The Office” as a series is comedy at its finest. Season six brought us hilarious and tear-jerking moments, especially Pam and Jim’s wedding ceremony set to “Forever.”

Parks and Recreation

When the first season of “Parks and Recreation” premiered it was perceived as a meager “Office” retread. However, in the show’s second season, the creators finally figured out what they wanted to do and created a comedy just as clever and funny as “The Office.” Amy Poehler’s Leslie Knope developed into an independent woman with a great passion for government and more than a female Michael Scott.

The show also brought us the year’s most charming romance between Chris Pratts’ slacker Andy and Aubrey Plaza’s seemingly cold April.

30 Rock

Tina Fey’s three-time consecutive Emmy winner, as a series, “30 Rock” may continue its winning streak into its fourth season. With exception to “South Park,” no other show satirizes 21st century America in a more uproarious fashion than the comedic gold that is “30 Rock.”

Reach Nick at nspake@asu.edu

×