Texas declines invitation to join Pac-10, stays in Big 12

SPORTS FBC-BCS 84 DA
University of Texas wide receiver Jordan Shipley (8) is mobbed by teammates after a 44-yard touchdown catch against the University of Alabama at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California on Thursday, January 7, 2010. (Vernon Bryant/Dallas Morning News/MCT)

The Longhorns won’t be roaming west after all.

The University of Texas has declined an invitation to join the Pac-10 Conference and will remain a member of the soon-to-be 10-team Big 12, the school announced on Monday.

The remaining Big 12 schools, several of which had been rumored in recent weeks to be on their way to the Pac-10, are also staying put, Pac-10 commissioner Larry Scott said in a statement.

“University of Texas President Bill Powers has informed us that the 10 remaining schools in the Big 12 Conference intend to stay together,” Scott said. “We are excited about the future of the Pac-10 Conference and we will continue to evaluate future expansion opportunities under the guidelines previously set forth by our presidents and chancellors.”

Colorado accepted an invitation to join the Pac-10 last week and will begin competing as a member of the conference in 2012.

Texas President William Powers and athletic directors DeLoss Dodds and Chris Plonsky will address the media Tuesday morning to discuss the school’s decision to stay in the Big 12.

×