ASU football set to open camp

FALL PRACTICE: Junior cornerback Omar Bolden and the ASU football team open up fall practice on Tuesday. (Photo by Nick Kosmider)

The waiting game is finally nearing an end for the ASU football team.

On Wednesday, the Sun Devils will put the pads back on as they officially begin fall practice, anxious to wipe the slate clean following two straight disappointing seasons that kept the team out of the bowl picture.

“I'm so excited to start and get rolling,” said junior cornerback Omar Bolden, who missed most of last season with a knee injury he suffered during a practice. “I'm ready to get back out there again.”

Bolden has taken charge as one of the team's vocal leaders — a role he occupied even as he spent most of his time on the sideline last season — but the California native said he's elated for an opportunity to lead on the field again, adding he's “eager and hungry” after so much time away from the game.

“I'm just ready to get back out there and make plays again,” Bolden said. “It's been a long time. I hadn't missed any football [before last season] since I started playing, so it sucked. I'm ready to get back out there.”

The cornerback will be a welcomed addition to a defense that figures to be one of the Pac-10's best, if not one of the nation's top units. Anchored by the Corona, Calif., trio of linebackers Shelly Lyons (junior), Bradon Magee (junior) and preseason All-American Vontaze Burfict, plus junior Lawrence Guy on the defensive line, the defense, No. 13 in the country in 2009, has its sights set on becoming the top unit in college football.

For ASU to find its way back to a bowl game for the first time since 2007, the defense might have to be.

The Sun Devil offense has been a major reason for the team's downfall the past two seasons, finishing seventh or worse in total offense in each.

This season, new offensive coordinator Noel Mazzone is hoping to turn things around by implementing a fast-paced, no-huddle system, predicated on short quick throws in the passing game that relies on wide receivers to make plays in open space.

One player who feels he will benefit greatly from the new approach is junior wide receiver Aaron Pflugrad, a transfer from Oregon who sat out last season, per NCAA rules.

“Coach Mazzone has been awesome and he brings so much energy,” said Pflugrad, who also is a candidate to return kicks this season. “We just have to keep progressing and I'm sure Sun Devil fans are going to see a totally different offense out there.”

Like Bolden, Pflugrad said it was difficult not being able to suit up for games last season, but the time on the scout team had its benefits, including timing he developed with junior quarterback Steven Threet, a candidate for this season's starting job who also sat last season after transferring from Michigan.

“It was extremely difficult [to sit out],” Pflugrad said, “but it is what it is and you use it to get better. Now that year is over and I'm looking forward to this year.”

Battling Threet for the starting role at quarterback will be sophomore Brock Osweiler and junior Samson Szakacsy, who missed all of spring practice with a lingering arm injury.

Threet and Osweiler each struggled at different times during spring practice, but neither emerged as a clear favorite after the annual spring game.

ASU opens its season at home against Portland State on Sept. 4.

Reach Nick at nkosmide@asu.edu

×