Catching up with former ASU star Ike Davis

SPORTS BBO-TWINS-METS 5 ND
New York Mets first baseman Ike Davis (29) reacts after striking out in the bottom of the fifth inning against the Minnesota Twins. The Twins defeated the Mets, 6-0, at Citi Field in Flushing, New York, Saturday, June 26, 2010. (Christopher Pasatieri/Newsday/MCT)

Make no mistake about it, Sun Devil fans like Ike (as in former ASU baseball star Ike Davis). During his three years in Tempe, Davis was one of the most prolific hitters in history, batting.353 with 33 home runs in his career.

After being drafted by the Mets with the 18th overall pick in 2008, Davis played two seasons in the minors before getting called up in April. And judging from his play so far it’s pretty safe to say that Davis is Mets first baseman of the future. So far Davis is hitting .253 with 13 home runs and 45 RBIs. Not bad for a rookie.

In town for a three-game series against the hometown Diamondbacks (he is from Scottsdale), Davis sat down with The State Press to talk about his Sun Devil experience, his reaction to his April call up and his hopes of playing in the postseason.

State Press: What do you remember the most about your playing days as a Sun Devil?

Ike Davis: Just being a college student. Getting that experience where young people try to better themselves and learn how to be an adult on their own. Obviously, the great friendships with my teammates and then playing baseball for ASU, which was amazing.

SP: Do you still keep in contact with your teammates and coaches from that time?

ID: Yeah, for sure. Not every single one of them but there are some guys that I hung out with a lot and I definitely still talk to them.

SP: What was your reaction when you were called up to the major leagues in April?

ID: It was a dream come true. I didn’t know what to think or feel, I was just so excited and nervous. It was all the emotions pretty much.

SP: What’s it like playing in a big city like New York?

ID: It’s exciting. It’s fun and it’s a great town. That’s about it about New York.

SP: The Mets have struggled late in the season the past few years. If you do make the playoffs this year, what do you think that experience will be like?

ID: It would be great for my first season to make the postseason. Hopefully we can win a championship and that’s why you play baseball.

×