Devil Dish: Source control

SPORTS BKN-CAVS-JAMES 1 AK
Cleveland Cavaliers' LeBron James enjoys a laugh during the presentation ceremony of the Maurice Podoloff Trophy for NBA Season Most Valuable Player at the University of Akron Rhodes Arena on Sunday, May 2, 2010 in Akron Ohio. (Paul Tople/Akron Beacon Journal/MCT)

LeBron James is staying in Cleveland.

Wait, King James is going to play for the Knicks? Now the Chosen One is going to South Beach to play for the Heat? Huh, he's on his way to suiting up for the Bulls?

Forgive me for being confused, but I've read that basketball's most coveted free agent is going to end up in each one of these places. And it all has to be true. After all, “a source” said so.

Look, unnamed sources are often a vital means of uncovering facts for reporters and can be great tools in collecting background information, but this is getting out of control.

In a society addicted to the up-to-the-second minutiae provided by the 24/7 news cycle, the drama around the 2010 free agency bonanza has fans salivating for every scrap of detail available. But wouldn't you rather bite into something a little more substantial?

Every NBA expert has been reporting story after story with quotes about this deal and that deal being as good as done. Reports detail how long each meeting with a given team lasted and how big the team representatives' smiles were when they left James' company.

“It went really well,” a source said.

Of course it did.

I can certainly appreciate the impact the decisions of James and fellow free agents Dwayne Wade and Chris Bosh, among others, are going to have on the future landscape of the league, but the rumor mill has spun so fast and so often the past week, that, at this point, I won't believe a single thing about where a player is going until it comes from his mouth.

Unnamed sources are a great way to get information, but when each report seems to contradict the last, there appears to be a lack of credibility.

Meanwhile, LeBron loves every minute of it, fully basking in the glow of worldwide attention.

Can someone just wake me up when something actually happens?

×